Risks of Windows 7 not being genuine

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lindbergh, May 4, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

I would like to know what the risks are if Windows was detected to be not genuine. My netbook has Windows 7 installed and it has already been more than half a year that it was detected to be not genuine. The wallpapers no longer work. I just have a black background with the desktop icons. But aside from that, my netbook seems to be operating normally. Do you think that there are other negative effects of Windows not being genuine?

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Hmm, can you update still? I heard once it isn't genuine you can't update anymore. Sucks not being able to get any of the security hot fixes. :eek:

Other than that yeah, you lose some basic functionality like the wallpaper and I believe desktop icons / maybe some task bar stuff.

3. danealegana

danealegana Member

Theres a possibility that your computer may lock up after some time if you continue using it.

Windows re-certify itself to Microsoft via the web
    If you are unable to re-certify your computer it will lock up.

The only way to unlock it again is to verify that you have a paid copy.

4. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

@draalin, I no longer receive updates from Microsoft. That's why when I start up my PC, there are a lot of security threats being reported. Lol. @dane, wow, that's scary. I don't want my PC to lock up or anything. I wouldn't want to completely reformat my PC. I would just probably try to reinstall Windows.

5. danealegana

danealegana Member

Yeah it is scary especially if that PC is your primary PC and all your work is stored there, that is really frightening.

I know a couple of guys who got their computers locked with this genuine issue thing. The good thing is they have sync all their work on their Dropbox accounts so they have backup.

6. maurovis

maurovis New Member

That is a very scary situation, if I was in your shoes I would back-up everything I had just in case. You never really know what can happen and the last thing you want is to end up losing all of your files.

7. BlackChi

BlackChi New Member

That sux. o_O My sister is showing not genuine something on her Acer on start-up. Its been like that for almost a year. We purchased the laptop from one of the areas local retailer and it was genuine, then we suddenly got this message one day. :/ I'm afraid to re-certify thinking we may no longer be able to use the laptop. :/

8. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I actually heard of someone - who was actually using a legitimate key, who got that message. He couldn't figure out why.

In the end he used something to get rid of the message and apart from the lack of updating, everything was okay. I wonder why it suddenly appeared.

9. danealegana

danealegana Member

I can only think of 2 scenarios for legitimate keys to fail.

1. He probably has a single user license and probably used the license on another computer so he needs to remove one.
    2. His License Store is corrupted thus recreating the license store is needed.

10. BlackChi

BlackChi New Member

License is quite expensive, and that was included in the package of the laptop we purchased but my sister's Acer is showing the same message. What are the possible things to happen if I re-certify her Windows?

11. danealegana

danealegana Member

If it is legit, there would be no problem unless there are some corruptions on the license store and recreating it is badly needed. But you can also try just to store and back up files to another drive and just reformat it again since you have a legitimate key just to make things easier.

12. fermlour

fermlour Member

I'll be honest with you, I use windows 7more an activator, I had the original windows vista but I got tired and moved to windows 7, then you can do is try to find some activator for your Windows 7 and you stay with the official windows.

13. danealegana

danealegana Member

The activator or loader. Definitely that works but keep in mind it is illegal. For home use, yeah you can use it but never for your business or you will have to deal with authorities when they randomly check business establishments posing as customers. Well, that is what they do here in my country.

14. fermlour

fermlour Member

Yes of course, I only use it on my home computer!
    Yes I use the windows loader, I was not remember the name.
    But how do the authorities see if windows is genuine or not?

15. danealegana

danealegana Member

For businesses, they check for paper license which they would give you anyways when you purchased it and stated it for business. Mostly, it is volume licensed.

For home, just nevermind about it, they wont check you anyways.

16. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

You could pretty much buy a whole new computer with Windows already preinstalled rather than pay for a full copy of it and try to install it on an older computer.

Another option, perhaps would be to see if you or someone you know is enrolled in college currently. Often times you can get a lot of Microsoft software at steeply discounted prices (as in like $10-$15) as long as you have a current student photo ID.

17. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

The solution is simple. Look for Windows Activators. They will activate your Windows and return it to its previous normal state. It is not hard and do not get scared that much.

18. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I never had that problem before most likely you won't be able to get Windows updates my guess is your using a pirated version.

19. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much, and if you are really concerned, just look for a Windows crack on The Pirate Bay - there are tons of them that can crack Windows for you. I don't believe they completely lock you out of Windows, but rather just cripple some of the features and perhaps block you from updates. After all, they need Windows to be functioning for you to enter your legitimate serial after purchasing it theoretically. There are sites such as Digital River, which legally offer downloads of Windows, for example, with the understanding that you will eventually purchase a serial number and activate it.

20. starbengal

starbengal New Member

Mine is a copy of one I had for another laptop and they have never said anything to me, I get updates too so reading this I am wondering if I am going to run into issues down the line. I might just go ahead and repurchase another copy to be safe since my laptop is my only computer. I wonder though how they decide one is or is not a duplicate assuming of course the original computer is quite dead.