Russian cyberspace head calls for internet kill switch

Discussion in 'Security' started by sonic, Jun 22, 2013.

1. sonic

sonic New Member

Source

Apparently every government wants to control the internet now. I don't get how shutting down all communications, including the internet, would help in time of national crisis.

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Seems pretty dumb, I don't understand why they think a "kill switch" will work now days anyways. I mean yeah you could tell ISP's to cut connections. As well as companies like Cogent, Akami, L3 to stop traffic, but what are you going to do about all the satellites?

I suppose this could work for just "wired" access, but that's about it.

3. ViperDove

ViperDove New Member

Can they really police the internet? They should not infringe on our right to communicate.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I don't know if they could patrol the Internet and regulate it, but it's curious how Russia has become "trendy" in security matters since Edward Snowden landed in there.

5. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Member

They could shut down the internet, and I personally think it wouldn't be too bad of the idea. However, no one country could control it, it would have to be in the hands of the UN for example. The use comes where if someone could built a big enough bot net to manage to attack the internet's root servers and cause it to go offline or start hacking a lot of the computers then this would be a valid solution. But then again they do already have a theoretical internet kill switch - shut down everyone's electricity - all routers would go offline because they need electricity to run and desktops would go offline too, while most laptops will only last for a few hours. Nearly all servers would go online and most backup systems for servers, if they even exist, aren't strong enough to keep the servers running for a long time. It ultimately depends on what you want to do.

6. skywatcher

skywatcher New Member

This is actually an interesting concept, but I don't think a lot of us civilians would want to hand in over our access of the Internet over our governments because, 1.) it's rather inefficient to have the government controlling the Internet usage of users because our being able to access the Internet has been made a fundamental right, right?, 2.) it can severely impede over our rights to communicate with each other, especially if governments would have the capacity to monitor the conversations and activity of people online, and 3.) it's better to hand the control over the Internet on a singular body, like a UN of sorts that consists of experts in the field of cybercommunications and cybersecurity.

It's either this, or the Internet should be set free for everyone to be able to use it. I think the problem lies more on the irresponsible use of some users which leads to the stepping over the rights of others, which would eventually lead to a situation like this.

7. DancingLady

DancingLady New Member

Government has no business controlling the internet any more than they have business controlling who you can call on the phone or who you can write to. They might want this power, but the people will not be happy if they get it and abuse it. I imagine there would be some serious riots if people thought their freedom to use the web was being taken away.