Security Software Recommendations

Discussion in 'Security' started by Sparkster, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

Over the years I have tried and tested many antivirus/antispyware/antimalware and security software applications, both paid and free and here are my recommendations:
    Stay well away from Norton - it's a resource hog, it's slow, bulky and unreliable and slows your computer down and is a nightmare to remove without formatting your hard drive.

McAfee isn't too bad, it's certainly better than Norton and is quite reliable but it takes a very long time to scan your hard drive but it has a good reputation.

Free programs can be dodgy because there are so many rogue ones out there which install extra malicious software on your computer without consent. However, the following free security applications are pretty good:

Avast Free Edition
    AVG Free
    Malware Bytes Anti-Malware
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    Ad-Aware
    Spyware Doctor

2. SharpShooter

SharpShooter New Member

I have tried all of the above that you listed and pretty much agree with you about Norton. In my experience when I was using Mcafee and Adaware, AdAware was the only program that grabbed a certain virus off my computer.

I also like to use Trend Micro's House Call as a good backup. It is a free online virus scanner that you can download and use when you think something might not be right.

3. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

Trend Micro can be a very useful tool if no other security software programs manage to find the problem. If I remember correctly it can be quite complicated but technology support forums often ask for a report from Trend Micro so they can provide assistance.

4. SharpShooter

SharpShooter New Member

I have mostly had good experiences with Trend Micro, but you have to download it every time you use it. Anytime I would use an older downloaded file it would give me an error message. It isn't too hard to download it every time, except for when the internet goes out haha :p

5. eMike22

eMike22 New Member

I don't really like antiviruses.. They interfere with other programs/games, and they use a lot of resources. I haven't had one in years, and I've never actually had virus problems. In my opinion, if you're careful what sites you visit, you don't need an antivirus. Also, you should always backup your files. I have an external hard drive and an old laptop where I dump all my pictures and documents. Don't forget to disconnect your external hard drive after you copy your files, though. If you DO get a virus, it might infect it as well.

6. SharpShooter

SharpShooter New Member

I agree, I don't like to have any antivirus software on my computer. The last 3 Microsoft OS's have built in security that has worked just fine for me. I do however use a cleaner that gets rid of unnecessary files.

7. hiddenwolf

hiddenwolf New Member

I disagree with the notion that it used to much resources. I'm running an old laptop with Avast and it runs perfectly. Unless your computer is under 4gb of ram I would say you need to defrag your computer asap.

I use CCleaner to get rid of all the back log junk files and then Defraggler to defrag my computer. If your computer is still running slow you might need to upgrade.

8. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

If you don't have an antivirus installed then how can you possibly know if you're having problems with viruses or not? Many viruses will quietly hide in your file system staying silent to avoid detection and could very well be spying on your activity, stealing your passwords, bank details, etc without you knowing. Just because you're not having problems now doesn't necessarily mean that a virus won't steal your bank details to be exploited in a year or two's time. Something as simple as a backdoor trojan could give a hacker the opportunity to completely take over your machine and set it up as a bot.

In all my years of computing, which is about 27 years, CCleaner is the best program I have ever come across. Incredibly useful and incredibly efficient. I always make sure I have CCleaner installed on all of my computers and cannot do without it.