Shortcuts virus

Discussion in 'Security' started by caparica007, Nov 8, 2013.

1. caparica007

caparica007 Member

So my university has a new virus and I still don't know where this is going to stop. This virus converts all files and folders in pen drives into shortcuts. We investigated and found and anti-virus called PW Clean - 1.0.6 that cleans it. The problem is that when the computers are infected it's not so easy. The PW Clean - 1.0.6 doesn't clean, MSE doesn't clean and Combofix gives bluescreens...

Ideas?

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Surprised universities have problems like that. Tell them to get their stuff together! o_O

3. caparica007

caparica007 Member

Problem was we have a concessionary space for students to print and their computers were unprotected, so possibly the virus developed there...!

4. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I agree I think most universities block most downloading sites the virus probably came from someone torrenting something.

5. caparica007

caparica007 Member

I think the virus came from a printing service outside the campus in a pen drive, but I really don't know... :confused:

6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I don't know either what this virus is, but I got this virus some weeks ago when I stopped at a hot spot.

On that day I needed to print a document into my flash drive, so I went over there, and when I got back home, I found that all files and folders were converted into shortcuts and the original files were set as hidden so, at first glance, they seemed to have disappeared or substituted.

Since all the content in the flash drive was already in my computer, I simply reformat the USB and the problem was resolved.

7. caparica007

caparica007 Member

Thing is here formatting the pen drive doesn't solve the issue, the virus returns. And it has developed, that anti-virus only cleans effectively pens. We've found out another version more effective to computers, but this version sometimes blocks, it seems you have to "Run as Administrator" but even so blocks sometimes and I end up running combofix.

8. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

What is the point of this virus? Is it just to destroy your files or is it some sort of ransomware asking you to pay up to get your files back?

I would have to agree that it probably came through on a pen drive, since most schools and public institutions have their networks and internet activity locked down a little better than that.

When I first saw the title of this thread I though it was in reference to browser bookmarks containing viruses, which is also sort of possible. Some links to add bookmarks to your browsers can also contain malicious javascript code in them, so you need to watch out for those as well.

9. skywatcher

skywatcher New Member

We have the same thing affecting our campus! Every laptop we can borrow in the university has this virus in some way or another, and it's painstakingly irritating.

There's a temporary solution that we discovered. In the command prompt, try writing "attrib -s -h /s /d" and then the destination of the drive, then it might clean the drive.

In my case, formatting the pen drive to its default settings got rid of the virus, but now I'm afraid to put it again in any laptop coming from the school. Either way, as to how to get rid of the virus in a computer is another thing entirely, and I'm not exactly sure as to how to deal with this.