The Way I Protect My PC

Discussion in 'Security' started by danealegana, May 6, 2013.

1. danealegana

danealegana Member

This is the way I protect my PC and I have never ever encountered any problems for a year now.
    I am using Windows 7 just to let you know.

Antivirus - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Firewall - Comodo Firewall - its just bit annoying with its pop ups but it is its purpose warning you of whats coming in and out in order for you to accept it or deny it.
    Shadow Defender - software like deep freeze where you have your PC in a deep freeze state. Everytime you restart your computer it all goes back to the previous state where you have turned on shadow mode. The best thing with these compared to deep freeze is it already has the feature to exclude folders you dont want to be in shadow mode.

Thats it. Those are the 3 Softwares that does protect my PC.

2. maurovis

maurovis New Member

Wow you have 3 different softwares to protect your pc? I only use one "bitdefender plus". I've never had any problems and usually just do scheduled scans once per week.

3. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Damn 3! That is quite a bit. I only use the default the MSE that comes with Windows 8. It seems fine.

If I'm messing with anything that is dodgy I'll just download it into a virtual machine first.

4. danealegana

danealegana Member

Bitdefender Plus, is that a paid version? If it is I think you already have a complete security suite!

Yeah, I got 3, I also use Peer Guardian to block peers when I am browsing the deep web. In case something goes really wrong, I have Spybot SD and HiJackThis for backup.

I also used Virtual Machines before but its really hogging up my RAM so opt to use Deep Freeze but its also a big resource hog until I discovered Shadow Defender which I really like as of now.

5. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

I use Kingsoft Free AntiVirus to protect my PC from malicious software. It has done a very good job so far. It scans the computer and flash disks in such a fast pace. It's lightweight and does not slow down the PC when performing a scan. I also have Advanced System Care installed to take care of my registry and shortcuts and temporary files.

6. maurovis

maurovis New Member

Yeah my bitdefender is the paid version, shamelessly though I didn't pay for it. I usually download my software using torrents. Yes even my anti virus, protection software I get off torrents.:)

7. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I just use the Windows Firewall, the hardware firewall in my router and Avast! Free Antivirus. I've never had any problems, aside from the firewalls stopping me from using certain software.

I'd never download an anti-virus from a torrent site. It would be far too ironic to hide a virus in a download for an anti-virus. :D

8. danealegana

danealegana Member

I agree with EdenSB here. I used to get cracked or patched paid versions of AV's and its not worth it, it has just given me more problems. I thought my system was so secure only to find out it was already totally infected. AV update database is not updating and and theres a malware on the crack.

Better use free AV's than getting cracked ones from untrusted sources. :)

9. BlackChi

BlackChi New Member

Bitdefender is defo a favorite. :) This is one of the best out there but is pricey. I should have installed this on my desktop PC if only I was thinking straight. I shouldn't have trusted Symantec. LMAO. Kaspersky and McAfee ain't all bad but can't really protect your PC like other paid programs out there. I had both McAfee and Symantec on my Desktop PC. Not sure what the CCleaner is for but I run this program once in awhile. :p

10. fermlour

fermlour Member

wow! 3? I just use Microsoft Security Essentials and it arrives, I do not download programs "strangers" and not visit sites like this, so I think I'm safe.
    I've been looking for the best free anti virus and said it was avast but it is very boring and is full of advertising, so what advise?

11. maurovis

maurovis New Member

Yeah I get the irony of it, but I can't help it. I think I have a torrent addiction lol.

12. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

For more irony, I suggest you torrent a collection of all the anti-piracy messages in movies. ;)

I can certainly sympathize with torrent addiction. There's so much stuff and it's all 'free'. It's far more common to torrent movies in the country I'm in now, than it is to watch them any other way. It seems like most people only see movies in other ways, if they want to see it on a big screen.

13. maurovis

maurovis New Member

And the worst part is that you can download free blu-ray movies, if you get the right file extensions, right decoders you can watch these movies on a virtual media player, hook them up to your LCD or PLASMA and you never have to worry about purchasing a blu-ray player or any blu-ray dvd's...EVER.
    I don't see this addiction going away anytime soon!

14. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

That would be really tempting, if I had my big screen TV at my current location. Luckily for my currently non-existent criminal record - I don't. I'm guessing the file sizes are absolutely huge?

15. daenerys

daenerys Member

The way I protect my PC is I do absolutely nothing on it except install, play, and uninstall games on it. Seems to be working so far. :)

I thought BitDefender was to anonymize your torrent use?

16. ozadin

ozadin Member

I use MES as well. I really like it compared to other antiviruses since it's not too intrusive. A lot of antiviruses I used before either got in the way too much, or did absolutely nothing. So far, I haven't gotten any viruses since I made the switch to MES.

17. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

Time for a few shameless self-plugs!
    5 Easy Ways to Keep Your Computer Secure
    A Few Programs to Keep Your Computer Running Like New

Computer security is a huge interest of mine, so I've recently started a blog on it. Above are the methods I use to keep my computer safe, along with computer that I've fixed for others.

I've never heard of Shadow Defender. That sort of seems like overkill unless you're working for some three-letter agency, but if it works for you, then good!

You're mixing BitDefender with BitGuard. I had to Google it, myself :p

18. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

I have heard bad things about using multiple virus protection softwares, but oh well.

I really like Microsoft Security Essentials, it's a great program. Still, I use Avast! much more since I have been using it for years and have a membership, and it gets the job done so why not?

19. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I like Microsoft Security Essentials. It's one of the least intrusive antivirus programs I've ever used. I suppose that makes sense, since Microsoft probably doesn't want to alarm people into thinking their OS isn't secure. All the other commercial antivirus programs seem to constantly notify you about anything and everything, to make it look like they are doing something.

20. altrouge

altrouge Member

Well I don't really have much on my laptop. I only have Avast Free Antivirus on my Windows and ClamXav on Mac. Avast was fine on its own and I don't really go to dodgy websites and the like so I think I'm all sorted.