Trouble With Networking and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RedNeckJiuJitsu, Jan 28, 2014.

1. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsu New Member

So, I remember reading that Windows 7 was supposed to make networking easier. Back with Windows XP I had my 2 machines networked together so that I could access pretty much any file from either my laptop or tower. Even after originally switching my tower to Win7, I was initially able to set things up the same way.
    Since then, my original laptop died, and I got a ThinkPad R50P. It only has a 20gig HD on it, so I'd like to be able to access my music and such through the network, as Windows and Ad-Aware Antivirus take up most of that space.
    The problem is that while the laptop and tower can see each other and the different drives that I have set to share, trying to access the drives gives a message that I don't have permission to access that drive. Doesn't matter which drive or computer we're talking about. In the network center, I have password protected sharing off. I try to turn network discovery on, but each time I go in, it's switched to off. Oh, and the network is set to Home on both computers as well. I've tried to map the network drives, but get the same message.
    Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.

2. thebeardlesswonder

thebeardlesswonder New Member