Ubuntu vs. Windows 7

Discussion in 'Ubuntu' started by cameronpalte, Apr 8, 2014.

1. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Member

Hello Everyone,
    I currently use Windows 7, however, I also have heard about Ubuntu and was considering whether it would be a good choice to use. I was mainly interested in would the ease of use be similar and what advantages would it give. Thanks ahead for the advice!

2. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

A simple Googling would help you find the advantages. I'll just list a few here anyways. The first is it's immunity to viruses. since most malware is directed towards the Windows market, you won't find many at all for Linux (Ubuntu). Another would be that it's pretty light on your system. It doesn't slow down your system after time. The OS itself is free, as are all of it's updates. It has a large community for any question you may have, with many forums and an official one to help you out. There are many more, but as I said before a simple Googling will give you all he answers you need.

3. jlynn71

jlynn71 New Member

I had Ubuntu for a while and it is fast, as the previous poster said, no viruses, just smooth. I did recently go back to Windows 7, for professional things, but I did really enjoy it and may use it again. I really like the way open source things work, everyone out there is in on the development, and I know that is where the inventions and limitless imagination lies.

I do have issues with drivers with Linux, like getting my printer to work, but I am sure this is due to my lack of knowledge about the emulators. I have learned a great deal using it and hope to learn more in the future, though. I do still use Open Office and GIMP, which is really awesome!

4. white4sj

white4sj New Member

I switched from Windows to Ubuntu fairly recently. Here is 2 cents:

Pros
    Free. No MS bullcrap
    Less bloat, boots and runs faster
    Updates are typically much faster and easier than with Windows
    No worrying about viruses
    More customization

Cons
    If you are a gamer you will disappointed. It's slowing getting better though.
    Application support is not as strong compared to windows
    Drivers support is lacking. (I've have some trouble getting a hard drive to mount)
    Harder to use. Applications are harder to install. It's a steeper learning curve

Overall I am glad I made the switch. With every update Windows just seems to get slower and slower, and since I switched things have been running much faster!

5. babyleans

babyleans New Member

One advantage for a person like you who currently uses windows 7 is that ubuntu is pretty similar so you wont have a hard time getting around. Also as someone said, hackers and virus makers mostly target windows. And ubuntu is free to download and install.