Unix in Your Pocket

Discussion in 'Unix' started by MyDigitalpoint, Oct 11, 2013.

1. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I'm not very familiar with Unix operating system, except when it comes to web servers, and when installed onto one's computer, I have never succeeded to install a full distro, or perhaps is that I'm so familiar with the Windows installation that I found hard to get it working as Windows does.

However once upon a time my Windows installation went corrupted and I was unable to boot the computer due to the lack of the original installation CD, time when manufacturers began to include the installation in a hidden HD partition that I was unable to access.

By such time I found a Unix operating system that I succeeded to install and, best of all, is that it was ran from a USB memory stick. Today I'm back on Windows, but I have my USB Unix operating System so I can boot up still using it and enjoy some good features it comes packed with.

This portable operating system is Slax:

You can download it from here, http://www.slax.org/

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Not bad, the iso is only 216mb.

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Yes, I really love it, and despite I mostly use Windows just for everything, sometimes I reboot the computer to play a little with Slax and learn more about this operating system.

The only I have found is that I can't connect to the Internet when I'm using this because it seems there is no compatible driver for my Wi-Fi card, a Broadcom one :\

4. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

That's cool that the file is so small you can put that on any Flashdrive and your good to go I wonder why the file size is so small have some of the features been taken out?

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Basically Slax comes with the basic core features that an operating system needs to run, plus some applications, but you can always add more features via modules available also in the developer's site, http://www.slax.org/en/modules.php

In there you can also find the documentation that explains how Slax uses automatic RAM compression to optimize USB usage, along with other interesting details about the architecture upon Slax is built and a full user's guide, http://www.slax.org/en/documentation.php

This operating system is very intuitive though.

6. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

Thanks for the information those two websites are very useful!

7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

You're welcome ;)

I'm glad to hearing these information serves you :)