Updating to Ubuntu 13.04

Discussion in 'Ubuntu' started by Rollinz, May 17, 2013.

1. Rollinz

Rollinz New Member

Has anyone updated to 13.04 yet from previous versions? or can tell me how...

I should say that I'm using the Ubuntu 12.04. Desktop version!

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Easiest way to upgrade to the latest Ubuntu distribution available is to type the following in the command prompt:

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

3. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

I'm on 12.04 and I'll be updating to 13.04 once it comes out. I'll just do a full reinstall to skip three versions. Xubuntu of course.
    But I have been hearing a lot about Arch recently and Debian seems really nice. My main problem so far with Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.04 is that Ureadahead has a bug so that on my system it fails and therefore my system takes an extra 5-10 seconds to boot. But 13.04 is quite nice. It's quite the releif after the mess that was Ubuntu 12.10. I remember installing Ubuntu 12.04 on a ~15 year old PC about a year ago. It ran fast and I loved it. It even booted up faster than Windows 7 on a laptop. Then I decided to update to 12.10. The boot time suddenly rose and I really hated that. It also had some driver problems I believe which mean about 4 hours of trying to get it to work. On my laptop it was even more headache, and I just hated 12.10 and still do. Hopefully 13.10 is worth upgrading to.

4. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

Just an update on my own post. I installed 13.04 early because I'm an impatient person :p
    It's ok, it does what I need it to do and I like having the newest version. Then I tried out Mint XFCE 15 and I love it. It brings the benefits of Mint without loosing what I'm used to. It also brings the one thing about Mint I hate which is the 5-10 second longer boot time than Ubuntu but I don't mind. So I recommend it over Xubuntu any day, it's much more stable and looks better.

5. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I have a really old version of Ubuntu on my Gateway PC 10.04 when I have more time I would like to learn the OS for anyone that has used both versions which one is more user friendly to learn on.

6. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

If you mean between 12.04 or 13.04 then I'd say both are the same. 12.04 just has the advantage of you not having to upgrade until April 2014. Besides that I'd really go with 13.04. The they both use Unity, but the 13.04 version is much more stable. If you're going to use Ubuntu just so you can learn Linux than start with Xubuntu or Linux Mint 15 XFCE (Which is much more equipped than Ubuntu). Once you have learned more than you can try out the different desktop environments and see what you like. There's GNOME, KDE, LXDE and others. Have fun.

7. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

Thanks for the information I will do some research on Xubuntu and Linux Mint and see which one I would like to start on!