Useful list of Windows 7 shortcuts

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by EdenSB, May 20, 2013.

1. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I came across this list and I thought I'd share it. I actually never knew some of these shortcuts, despite having been around computers for years. Win + Up/Win + Down to maximize and minimize the active window looks like it might become a new favorite for me. Win+(+/-) to magnify is going to come in useful occasionally too.

Source:
    http://lifehacker.com/5390086/the-master-list-of-new-windows-7-shortcuts

Are there any more useful ones that you can recommend? Apart from Ctrl + P/C/X, which are fairly commonly known.

wowtgp, sonic and themarksquared like this.
  2. burnty

burnty New Member

Wow some of those shortcuts sure are useful the problem with shortcuts though is that, unless you use them all the time, you'll just forget them again. That's also the reason why Ctrl + P/C/X are really the only ones that most people use. There are two more I regularly use though: Win + L (locks your computer) and Wint + Tab (kind of like alt tabbing but fancier)

3. Trox

Trox New Member

That's a really amazing list. I'm actually quite surprised I hadn't come across something like this in the past, but it opens up a lot of opportunities for me. In the past I had only used a few commands (such as for printing, locking, and zooming), but now I feel like the shortcut master. I do have to say that the "Copy as Path" command is going to be beyond useful for me. Thanks a bunch for the list.

4. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I'm glad that people think that these are useful.

Burnty - I'm actually considering printing these out and sticking them somewhere near my PC when I get a permanent workstation set up again. It would help me remember them and help in the cases when the mouse doesn't work - which is more than I'd like when I'm repairing computers.

5. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I'm also surprised that I was missing so many useful shortcuts. My excuse is almost all of the work I do is command line anyways!

But ya EdenSB printing them is a pretty good idea if you have room for it.

I dunno how I ever missed this one though...

6. miganders

miganders Member

Another great resource Draalin, love the Win+Arrowkeys and Win+Spacebar tricks.

7. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

This is a great list, EdenSB! Unfortunately, I don't use Windows 7 anymore since I migrated to Windows 8, but I'll send this to my father who has a Windows 7 PC. These shortcuts will truly make him more effective and efficient in his work. Thank you very much!

Now the challenge left is for me to test if these shortcuts would work on Windows 8.

EdenSB likes this.
  8. danealegana

danealegana Member

I am aware of these shortcuts but thanks for reminding.

I hope I will apply it and not tend to forget it since I only use CTRL + C and CTRL + V most of the time.

9. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

Ok, now my brain hurts. I'm glad that they did not require us to memorize all of these shortcuts at our computer class when I was still in college. I find some of these shortcuts quite interesting but I don't know how often I could use them. Like dane, I mostly use the most common shortcuts - CTRL +C, CTRL +V, CTRL + X and CTRL+ Z

10. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

Please let us know if they work or not! While I'm using Windows 7 now, I expect there will be a day when I'll have to migrate to Windows 8. While I've heard generally bad things, it's not supposed to be terrible at least.

As with danealegana and lindbergh, I mostly use the very simple shortcuts too, such as CTRL +C, CTRL +V, CTRL + X and CTRL+ Z. Since I discovered these I've been using the min/max occasionally and the zoom in/out.

11. ozadin

ozadin Member

This is very useful, but whenever I see this, I always forgot when I actually need to use it. Remembering all these controls is pretty hard! I only know the generic important ones. I don't need to know how to minimize a window when I could simply move my mouse a little and click it, but shortcuts always help.

12. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I would have actually loved something like this when I was using a laptop really often. I personally don't like trackpads, so I try to avoid using them whenever possible. If my laptop was staying in the same place for a long time, I usually attached a USB mouse. Knowing more key shortcuts would have really helped.

13. jordan0795

jordan0795 New Member

Just by the way, CTRL + Y is redo. (Opposite of CTRL+Z)

14. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I'd never heard of that one, so thanks for mentioning that. F4 only works in certain applications. I doubt I'll use it too much, but it's occasionally something useful.

15. rashidckk

rashidckk Member

I am not a great fan of shortcuts as I forget them easily. I only use cut, copy, undo, paste and task manager shortcuts.

16. sonic

sonic New Member

Very useful list. Might start using couple of those. So far I've been only using shortcuts for cut/copy/paste, Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y for undo/redo, Win+R for run and Win+X. Win+X is pretty useful as it allows you a quick access to control panel, power options, event viewer, computer management, etc. Full list:

17. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

What an amazing list. I didn't know most of those shorcuts.

My new favorite will be this one:

Awesome!

18. wowtgp

wowtgp New Member

That's quite a list. Thanks for the link and the post mate. I am too lazy to learn shortcuts, you know. But at the same time, they can save you a lot of time, if you use it often. I appreciate the list :)

19. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

Well I have gone through the list and I must say those are pretty cool shortcuts. These shortcuts can save you a lot of time and also if you do not have your mouse or touchpad is not working.