Using CentOS with VLC to stream media

Discussion in 'CentOS' started by rocketman, May 24, 2013.

1. rocketman

rocketman New Member

I dunno if this goes here but, Recently I have started streaming media (multicast - to a group of computers in my schools network) and after about 30-40 hours it will always timeout.

I looked at my logs and it doesn't say anything other than it just dropping off. I should note that I'm streaming nothing higher than 720p and the bitrate is 2mbps.

Anyone else ever stream with CentOS?

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I was running a similar setup before but with Fedora Core and the problem ended up being just VLC timing out because it was dropping too many frames.

What are the specs on this machine?

3. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

I've used CentOS and VLC in the past to stream video but my setup was different. I had installed a Red5 Media Server and VLC was streaming video only to the server.

I know this isn't actually what you are asking for but you could try that and see if it works better.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I streamed video once running on a VPS, but this was a experimental thing on my early days learning how to setup my own server, couldn't say if this may work or how I truly made it because I was just playing with everything in it to learn more.