What are some methods to extend battery life on iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iOS' started by Trox, May 20, 2013.

1. Trox

Trox New Member

I've talked with many people who complain about short life time of the iPod touch. What are your recommendations for extending the battery life, and how practical are these methods?

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

The only things I can think of that work across pretty much any device is simple things like:
    • Keeping Wi-Fi off
    • Reduce screen brightness
    • Use auto-brightness
    • Keep data pushing off

3. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

I know the iPod 5 battery is amazing as I have one. But for earlier versions, either consider upgrading or do what the member above me suggested.

4. ozadin

ozadin Member

If you jailbreak it, I'm sure there are some Cydia apps that can reduce battery life, but other than that, turn on airplane mode, and turn off wifi. It lasts for a bit, but from my experiences, when tapping a lot, it seems to drain the battery life faster.

5. daenerys

daenerys Member

So using the wifi connection actually uses more battery life? I always thought it helped save battery life for some reason. Is it still true if you're just on a home wifi connection, where the phone isn't always searching and loading info about hotspots around?

6. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Member

Keeping wifi off (airplane mode is even better) and turning down screen brightness can help save battery. I've also found that closing background applications especially games helps a lot.

Daenerys, I'm confused to why you would think it would help save battery life. Even if you were on a home wifi connection and it was not doing anything it wouldn't save any battery life - in wouldn't save or use any. In reality it would still need to maintain a connection with your home wifi even if the phone isn't constantly searching or loading info which would use battery. More so than that, many apps update themselves automatically (like mail), so it would still be doing work on a home internet. Not trying to come off as mean.

7. chie

chie Member

I have an iPod Touch 4G and 5G.

Tips to extend battery life:
    • Reduce screen brightness
    • Reduce speaker level
    • Turn off Wi-Fi if not needed
    • Turn off Bluetooth if not needed
    • Turn off Location Services if not needed
    • Turn off or lessen the time of fetching email (Mail settings)
    • Shorten the Auto-lock time
    • Use headphones when listening to music, watching videos/movies and playing games