What are the best apps for your MAC?

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Jaxter, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Jaxter

Jaxter New Member

I never had a MAC until recently so I didn't really know what to expect from it until I purchased a Macbook Air. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that there are specific apps for your MAC that can be downloaded onto your computer much like what you can do on your phone. Seems like Windows 8 has now copied this.

For me I love the Mint app for the Mac. I'm able to see and manage my money very easily on it and gives great charts and graphics on my spending habits. The great thing is it's docked at the top so I can easily just hover my mouse over it on the desktop to bring everything up.

Another very cool app for the Mac I use is Flutter. It allows you to use hand gestures to control things like your music player by just waving your hand in front of the camera. Comes in handy when your hands are dirty or tied up with something else.

2. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

It depends on what your using you Mac for me I use Spotify, and Audacity a lot because I do let's plays on YouTube and Spotify is a must if you own a Ipod.

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Starting with Windows 7, Microsoft is copying MAC operating system and behavior.

Now about your question, there are two lists of MAC applications that could be what you are looking for, the second link goes for free apps, while the other is a mixed selection,

Lifehacker Pack for Mac 2013: Our List of the Best Mac Apps
    http://lifehacker.com/lifehacker-pack-for-mac-2013-our-list-of-the-best-mac-635303836

16 Best Free Mac Apps
    http://mashable.com/2013/07/21/best-free-mac-apps/

4. ebby23

ebby23 New Member

There are several apps I enjoy using on my Mac, but a few I can't live without. I love the unarchiver app which is used to open files that are compressed. When you download a lot of zip files, this app really comes in handy. My favorite app would be djay. This app transform your Mac into a DJ system. Good for when I'm hosting parties.

5. daenerys

daenerys Member

I love Mint as well. One thing I like a lot about Macs is they come with a lot of the apps I prefer. I like Safari, iTunes, Mail, Messages and iPhoto. Using the Mac ecosystem allows for conveniences such as iCloud bookmarks and or photos in iPhoto for example to be automatically synced to my iPhone. Alternatively, a lot of people prefer Chrome for their browser and Spotify for their music, etc.

Outside of those, I highly recommend 1Password, I know iCloud keychain might eventually replace it, but for now I think it's the best way to store passwords securely. I always also install Transmission and VLC - I like to download TV shows. If you need an FTP app I recommend Transmit, it's not free but it's really nice. If you need a cheap Photoshop alternative I recommend Pixelmator, it's around $20 I think and its UI looks better than Photoshop but it isn't quite as fully featured. Hope that helps, good luck!