What are your most useful applications?

Discussion in 'Applications' started by EdenSB, May 12, 2013.

1. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I'd like to ask what your most useful applications are? Not the most used, necessarily, but the ones that come in useful, even if only occasionally.

Calculator probably tops my list, though it's a default application.

CallBlocker is next, though it's not an official application. It blocks unwanted calls by automatically hanging up. I get a lot of calls from people trying to sell me things.

Tunnelbear comes in useful occasionally when I find those pages that won't let me access them from my part of the world.

Collins COBUILD Dictionary is always a help in my work.

Mobile Mouse occasionally helps. I can move the mouse with my phone with this application. This is useful when I'm lazy but could also work for people who've hurt their leg/have mobility problems.

Lingopal - basically a phrase book. I live in a country where I barely speak the language. It's useful to travelers.

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Hmm most used/useful are probably in this order for me:
    1. Putty
    2. Powershell
    3. notepad++
    4. Winscp
    Most of the things I work on are somewhere else and notepad++ is just great for about anything.

3. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

Don't you think that the most used are also the most useful? Excluding games of course. When it comes to the most useful, Google Chrome tops my list. It's a fat and lightweight browser that allows me to access all of my online gigs. It helps me become more productive. I also find Merriam Webster dictionary to be very useful. Also, Polaris Office and Adobe Reader.

4. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I suppose it depends on your definition of useful; my games are usually the most often used and I could say they're useful for keeping me entertained. I use my dictionary much more often than my phrase book, but I consider my phrase book more useful since the dictionary is often a double-check, while the phrase book helps me with things I absolutely can't do without it.

5. danealegana

danealegana Member

Firefox for browsing and for testing my newly created sites and edited sites along with Chrome, Internet Explorer and Opera.
    Notepad for faster web editing.
    Dreamweaver for creating websites from scratch the fast and easy way.
    Android SDK and Bluestacks for testing my newly created or edited mobile sites.
    And lastly, Microsoft Security Essentials, Comodo Firewall and Shadow Defender for my PC's security.

6. rashidckk

rashidckk Member

The most useful app for me is a web browser like Google Chrome or Firefox. Adobe reader, calculater, Gmail are also very important for me.

7. daenerys

daenerys Member

I'll just throw out a quick recommendation for Audacity if you need to do any audio editing. It's similar to CoolEdit if you ever used that back in the day, but CoolEdit was bought by Adobe now and is of course expensive and probably not an option for most people. But for your basic trimming and fading in and out of WAVs and whatnot, this is a great free app.

8. Sypfii

Sypfii New Member

Probably would be calculator, google chrome, notepad and AVG.

9. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

I have a lot of useful programs.
    Google Chrome - Speedy internet web browser.
    Filezilla - FTP software to manage my sites.
    Adobe Dreamweaver - Helps me web code and build professional sites.

10. ozadin

ozadin Member

I really like f.lux. For those who don't know what it is, it basically controls the lighting of your computer. If it's nighttime, it will adjust the screen color so there is less stress for your eyes. Really great application.

11. rage35

rage35 Member

I usually make use of something that would help me gain knowledge. I have an Encarta dictionary installed in my computer and this I think would be the best useful tool that I have. Especially, when I encounter unfamiliar words, I just check it on my dictionary because it's easy to find meanings on it compared to searching it on a book.

12. hmol222

hmol222 New Member

My most useful applications are:

• Opera
    • BitMeter2
    • BatteryCare
    • Game Booster
    • Advanced System Care

13. PurpleGuardian

PurpleGuardian Member

Pixlr is great, it's a program used for editing photos.
    DropBox.

14. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

For work, definitely Excel and Photoshop. I use those two programs the most more than anything else on my computers. Next up would be Fireworks and Illustrator, then an FTP client such as Fileazilla.

15. hmol222

hmol222 New Member

Also forgot to mention, another highly useful program for me would be GIMP 2.0, I used to like Photoshop but then I switched to GIMP 2.0 as I feel its much more simplistic. I use it to make YouTube backgrounds, forum signatures, banners, that sort of thing.

16. PurpleGuardian

PurpleGuardian Member

I would also like to mention that another great program is MalwareBytes. It's fantastic for making sure you don't have any viruses or malware on your computer. (Also Steam, love those games). :p!

17. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

For me these are the applications that I use every day:

1. Putty
    2. WinSCP
    3. Sublime Text 2
    4. Teamviewer

18. vcx _vgg

vcx _vgg New Member

1. Eclipse
    2. Chrome
    3. Skype
    4. Photoshop

19. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Flux. I can't believe I ever used my computer without it. Basically, as the day goes on your screen gets darker, so that you don't get eye strain. Essential for people that work in offices, or gamers :)

20. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I use these the most often
    cinema 4d
    photoshop
    flash
    notepad
    chrome