What is the WORST anti-virus you have ever used?

Discussion in 'Security' started by mvpmkpr, Jul 31, 2013.

1. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

This is a question that I think a lot of people can answer. Everyone has used at least 1 anti-virus program that just sucked.

For me, it has to be one of the Norton ones that I used a few years ago that came with my PC. I couldn't figure out how to uninstall it, and it gave me alerts to buy the program like every other hour. The most annoying the in the world.

What about you guys?

2. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

Norton was notorious for making bloated crappy software that just slowed your whole computer down. I haven't used their stuff in over 15 years. For a while I had switched to McAfee in the early 2000's, but even that turned into bloatware - adding all kinds of extra features that I didn't want or need. One of the worst was that it would pre-scan all the links on a page, hogging up my dial up connection. I tried it again a couple years ago, and it hijacked all my browsers and reset the home page to a McAfee one. That's the kind of stuff it's supposed to be protecting me from, not acting like Malware itself.

3. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Ah, McAfee. I hate that program so much, it feels the need to be bundled with every software I install and it constantly asks you to update it or whatever. Really annoying program.

4. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Norton, I think it was installed for a total of 5 minutes. Too much bloatware.

5. ozadin

ozadin Member

Probably every anti-virus that I've tried except for MSE. I've tried Norton that basically does nothing, and is too difficult to delete, and doesn't do anything helpful, AVG which always tries to convince me to buy the full version, Advanced System Care which did an okay job, but popped up too much. The reason I don't use these kinds of anti-viruses is because it is too intrusive. One minute, I can be playing a game, and the next minute, the anti-virus will pop up saying I have to update it. MSE doesn't do that, and that's why I prefer it.

6. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

MSE is really, really great and I really enjoy the fact that it has nothing that randomly pops up at times. I think that AVG is okay, but it is annoying at times. You should try Avast, it rarely pops up and it's free!

7. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

Norton is the worst anti virus I have ever used but the truth is that most anti virus are really bad. When I have purchased a computer the first thing I've done is uninstalling the bundled antivirus (mostly Norton and McAfee). Once the computer is rid off the antivirus it runs smoothly.

I like Kaspersky, I feel that doesn't takes up much resources. Kaspersky along with MSE are the two antivirus I would recommend. Kaspersky being the number one choice.

8. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

I remember using AVG Antivirus (free version) before. It was way back in 2008. Though I had it installed, I still got attacked by a lot of viruses especially those viruses that are transmitted via USB. However, I think I was partly to blame since I never updated the Antivirus because I seldom had an internet connection during that time.

9. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

That's why we always keep automatic updates on :). You never know what you are protected against, best to stay safe and frequently update so that your system is secure.

10. Deacon

Deacon Member

I have to admit this with the caveat that my computer was really old at the time but Norton was the worst. Once every month I had to deal with malware problems and viruses. Although I was downloading a lot at that time. I like to use Panda antivirus, it's pretty light.

11. danealegana

danealegana Member

Already been replied a few times on this thread. Norton Bloatware!

Are you using the free Panda Cloud Antivirus? I was thinking of trying it out.

12. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

Like a lot of people have stated Norton the problem is it is a resource hog it uses a ton of your CPU power resulting in a slower computer.

13. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

The first and probably the worst anti-virus that I've used was the McAfee AV. It was so darn slow and buggy every time I used it. Nowadays, I'm a happy and proud MSE user.

14. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

My worst experience was when I used McAfee antivirus. This antivirus software just used up most of my computer resources and no results. I even do not know if anyone still uses it any more. Since then I decided to switch to Microsoft Essentials.

15. TheViper

TheViper Member

The only two antivirus that I hate are ones that failed me tremendously in the past. Those two would have to be Norton and McAfee. These two programs have missed varies viruses that destroyed my computers over the years. The only thing worst then those is Window Defender.

jlynn71 likes this.
  16. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I'm particularly annoyed that Adobe is in some arrangement with McAfee to bundle their software with Acrobat and Flash updates. Those are two of the most annoying programs when it comes to them *constanly* nagging you about available updates. I swear, Acrobat updates like several times a month, sometimes several times week - and each time I have to now keep turning down offers for McAfee too. Give me a break already.

17. Jojo83

Jojo83 New Member

McAfee was terrible, it can't seem to detect viruses and it made my system very slow. There were a lot of viruses that are getting through, and I had to reformat my PC a few times. It also came with a lot of bloatware and I never used it for 3 years. I don't know if they've improved their software since then.