What would the top 10 free anti-virus software programs be?

Discussion in 'Security' started by stardisgate, Jun 2, 2014.

1. stardisgate

stardisgate New Member

So for someone who is practically broke, what would be the top 10 best free anti-virus software programs? I want to make sure my computer is protected. I wouldn't want anything to happen to it.

2. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Member

I always use the "free" software, as I have little to none to spend as well:) I have used AVG for years, but recently gave Avast a go. Didn't like Avast at all. Then, I read a lot about Microsoft Security Essentials, lots of good reviews, and recommends. I'm using it now and like it. I think it is a matter of trying one, and seeing if you like your options in "settings" etc. Also, I noticed Avast was something I had to disable a lot of alerts, and notices. Didn't like all those, it was like "over-kill" in my opinion, but I think once you set them the way you want, it may be a great program.

I've read that even the most careful of users can get a virus, so it's really just choosing something that is on the "top 10" list like MSE, Avast, AVG. And see what you are comfy with. You'll get as many opinions as there are computer types, as well as anti-virus programs. Everyone has a fave;) I have never found it necessary to pay for some expensive anti-virus though. If you have Norton on your computer, and need to get it off, let me know. I know the "ticket" after a week of trying to delete it. In my opinion it's like a virus, or adware at best, yuck:( Denise

3. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Member

I don't know what the top 10 anti-virus software programs are, I only know of the single anti-virus that I use which is AVG Free Antivirus. It is free and it works quite well. However, I would consider upgrading if you guys have any suggestions - looking forward to hearing the suggestions.

4. Annabell

Annabell New Member

I personally really like Avast myself. I started using it years ago when it was still fairly unknown. One of the technies at my dad's company kept taking it off our computer because he insisted that it was a virus, and kept giving off that I would uninstall the things he put on it in favour of Avast as it was the only thing that actually kept our computers safe.

Found out a while back that he's started using Avast himself, which I find very funny.

5. DancingLady

DancingLady New Member

AVG is the only free one I have used. I think it is pretty good since I have not had problems, but I am not an expert really, just an ordinary computer user. AVG was recommended to me by someone who is an exert though, so I think it is definitely a good one.