What's a good distro for someone just starting out with Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by BCH, Aug 27, 2013.

1. BCH

BCH New Member

I've never tried Linux before but I have been intrigued for some time now and I'd like to know what is a good place to start for someone who's exclusively used Windows OSs for the past 20 years. I know Ubuntu is the most common and popular Linux distro and I have heard that it is very user-friendly, but I also know that there are other popular distros and probably some lesser known distros that are worth trying out.

2. danealegana

danealegana Member

You could try YLMF OS. It was designed to look like windows XP. It was created by some chinese guys a few years back and its quite impressive.

Update: They have stopped YLMF OS and instead created a new one called StartOS.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  3. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

For someone who's new to Linux I'd recommend Xubuntu to ease the transition. It does come with an applications menu very similar to Windows XP or Windows 7. If you do a few minutes of tweaking you can make it look much like Windows.

Underneath the graphics it's still Ubuntu. This means that it gets a new version update every 9 months with security updates (done automatically of course with one click confirmation) every week or two. Being Ubuntu also means that you have the great chance of being help since it's the most popular desktop Linux distro to my knowledge. Lets also not forget that it comes with the widest selection of applications than any other Linux distro. This means that you're likely to find applications that you use everyday on Windows on Ubuntu such as Google Chrome for internet, VLC for music/video, GIMP for image editing and the list goes on. So my suggestion is to take Xubuntu 13.04 for a spin (http://xubuntu.org/) and see how you like it. You can try things out under the Live CD/DVD (although your experience will be very limited in that state) to test the general usage. There's many other versions of Ubuntu available too such as:
    Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE): http://www.kubuntu.org/
    Lubuntu (Ubuntu with LDXE): http://www.lubuntu.net/
    Ubuntu GNOME (Ubuntu with GNOME): http://ubuntugnome.org/ (download)
    and much more. Find what suits you.

4. calebmelvern

calebmelvern New Member

When I first tried out Linux, I used Ubuntu. I found it very user-friendly and have had little trouble getting the hang of it. I'd say that as long as you're an average computer user, you wouldn't have any problems as well. I would also recommend LinuxMint. It's one of the most popular distros right now and it's also very easy to use.

5. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

Just to add on to what the previous user said, Ubuntu is a very good starter system that most people end up using or sticking with when they don't have much Linux experience. Another flavour that I would recommend is ElementaryOS. It's a very well done OS, and very easy to use. With the possible exception of the whole desktop thing, it's practically Mac OSX.

6. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

Nope, I would stick with Ubuntu if you're a beginner. There's a reason why it is the most popular distro. Stick with Ubuntu for at least a little while until you learn how Linux works.

7. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

Are you referring to elementaryOS? It's much more user friendly than Ubuntu, and is made to be a very appealing an intuitive operating system. I would certainly recommend it over Ubuntu, as it seems to be much more stable and has overall a better user experience than Unity. It frequently experiences crashes, as does Rhythmbox, and sometimes even Nautilus. I'm not saying Ubuntu is bad, I use it everyday, but for a better initial Linux experiences, I would recommend eOS for Sure.

8. jukiveins

jukiveins New Member

I would recommend Linux Mint for starters. Many people in my university preferred it over Ubuntu and there is a reason, because it is much lighter and more responsive. Simply beauitful with KDE or Cinnamon as DE. After all, it is Debian based (I started with Debian, but I wouldn't recommend it for beginners). It also has many utilities preinstalled and maybe you wouldn't need to install additional drivers - it supports popular hardware out of the box. For instance, I've tried latest Ubuntu and it didn't detect my Wi-Fi!