What's some software that EVERYONE should have?

Discussion in 'Applications' started by mvpmkpr, Aug 2, 2013.

1. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

For me, it would be Flux. If you aren't using Flux, you are making a huge mistake.

Basically, as the day goes on, the screen gets dimmer with Flux. If you're gaming or doing something else, don't worry, you can disable it temporarily.

It makes late night browsing sooo much easier. I'd highly recommend.

2. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Just an update on this, I think that after using it for a while, I would really recommend everyone to use HWMonitor as well. Basically, it monitors your temperatures as long as your computer is on and you have the program running. Really great for people concerned about their temperatures or fan speeds etc. One thing that I dislike about it is the fact that it never drops down to taskbar, it just stays as a window so if you X out the whole program closes.

3. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

I also have F.lux installed. It's great to adjust screen brightness to levels that the normal laptop or desktop options cannot do. Here's a list of software which I think everyone should have:
    • Antivirus software (Avast, Kingsoft, AVG, Norton)
    • Office software (MS Office, Open Office)
    • Photo editing software (PhotoShop, GIMP)
    • Mozilla Firefox/Google Chrome
    • A media player (VLC, Real Player)

4. ozadin

ozadin Member

Like lindbergh said, F.lux is a great software that everyone should use. It reduces stress on your eyes, and adjusts the screen level depending on the time of day. It will help you sleep better at night.

For an Antivirus software, I would recommend MSE. It's not intrusive like many other antivirus softwares, and gets the job done. It spots out viruses, and cleans them fairly quickly. Malwarebytes is also a good antivirus software that spots out malwares very effectively. MSE and Malwarebytes are great combinations, and they are all you need.

Ccleaner is also a good software. It cleans your browser history, cookies, fixes registry errors, and basically cleans up your computer. The best part is that it's free, like all of these programs.

5. vaibhav402

vaibhav402 New Member

The very first software I download after installing windows is a browser. We all know IE is crap. I use Firefox mainly since its open source, not controlled by corporation like Google and is usually fast. Next software I download is an AV because I again to depend on Windows Defender. AVG free versions are generally good. Then I install CCleaner to keep my PC clean and fix the registry issues. Then I install MS Office. I have a 2007 license which works well for my needs. And lastly, essentials like Foxit PDF reader and WinRAR.

TLDR:
    1) Browser (Firefox)
    2) Anti-virus (AVG)
    3) CCleaner
    4)MS Office
    5) Foxit PDF reader and WinRAR.

6. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

If you are using Windows the number one software you should install is an Antivirus. After that you should also loof for:

1. A good web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Opera)
    2. A good media player (VLC, Media Player Classic - Home Cinema)
    3. A compressor / decompressor (7-zip, has support for rar files so you don't need WinRAR)
    4. A PDF viewer (Adobe Reader)
    5. A good office suite for the moments you have to write a report or make a presentation (Libre Office)

That should do it.

7. rashidckk

rashidckk Member

Shame to say, I haven't tried Flux yet. I will give it a shot.
    I think MS Office, Adobe reader, Photoshop, Winrar and Google Chrome or their alternatives are the softwares everyone should have.

8. BCH

BCH New Member

One of my favourite suggestions for something that people don't really think of but everyone I know appreciates is f.lux. It adjusts brightness and contrast settings for night time so your screen isn't too bright. I don't even notice it happen any more because I'm so used to it changing every evening. It's definitely something you should at least try to see how it works for you.

9. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

If I didn't inadvertently have to have the entire Adobe suite on my system for work related stuff, I would switch over to Foxit in a heartbeat in place of Acrobat Reader. That program is nothing but pure update spam. They push out every stupid nonsensical update, labeling it as some important "security" update which it probably even isn't. All they are trying to do is pester you into installing that stupid McAfee bundled software. It's like they have an agreement with McAfee to hit up Acrobat users a certain number of times per month.

10. danealegana

danealegana Member

It really gets dimmer but I really cant get the settings right. Its too much orange on my monitor. Tried other computers and its the same. Whats your settings?

11. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I think everyone should know some basic Photoshop, and PowerPoint.

12. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

I don't use too many different programs but these are my favourite:
    • VirtualBox
    • Google Chrome
    • (If you're on Windows) AntiMalware Bytes
    • Netbeans
    • VLC (Amazing program pre packaged with many codecs)
    • Wireshark
    • uTorrent or Transmission
    • Synapse (My life depends on it)
    • f.lux