Whats the difference between Linux and Windows

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mjhunter23, Apr 13, 2014.

1. mjhunter23

mjhunter23 New Member

I know Linux is open source but apart from that I cant seem to find many more differences. Forgive the noob question I have been a Mac user for years now and recently made the switch to Windows

2. Ahriman

Ahriman Member

3. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

The main thing to note is that Linux is free. We must never forget that fact. Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of Windows/Mac applications don't work on Linux OS's.

4. Chris_A

Chris_A New Member

The main difference is that Linux is very secure. If you want to run a server, there is no better choice then a Linux system. If you know the OS and properly secure it. On the downside, as useruseruser said, not many Windows or other OS applications work on Linux. So if you are a Gamer, for example, you won`t find many games that run on this system.

5. thebeardlesswonder

thebeardlesswonder New Member

If you were using a Mac you were using a Unix based system, which is what Linux is based off of. Linux machines are more secure as there are less active exploits for them. Most all distros are free to install but you will need to turn to a community for support. Distros like Ubuntu have become very user friendly and can be installed on nearly any computer with in a few minutes by someone with very little computer knowledge. The main downside to Linux is that you cannot run any of the familiar Windows applications that you are used to. There are many different types of Linux applications that mimic Windows application but most lack in some way or another. If you just use your computer for surfing the web and writing a few documents then Linux is the way to go!