Which anti-virus do you use?

Discussion in 'Security' started by ozadin, Jun 14, 2013.

1. ozadin

ozadin Member

Which one do you use, and has it ever detected any viruses?

I use one of the popular ones, MSE. It's pretty great since it doesn't get in the way of anything. Some anti-viruses will pop up whenever there's an update available or if I haven't scanned in a week or so. So far, MSE has caught about 1 or 2 viruses that I easily deleted. Works pretty well so far.

2. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

I love Microsoft Security Essentials. As you say it doesn't get in the way like many other anti virus programs. At work we use AVG and overall it works well but it has an automatic scan programmed to run every week and it really slows down the machine while running. I don't like that at all.

Before I have worked with Kaspersky and I believe it is the best anti virus available.

3. kdlt

kdlt Member

I use Norton 360. It's nothing special but it hasn't let any viruses in so far. Lots of people dislike it, though, because of the constant pop-ups and apparently it's difficult to install (and there's probably plenty of other reasons they don't like it, too.) It's a bit spendy but my mother buys a 3-pack so we share it between the computers here.

4. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

MSE all the way. I use it and every computer in the house here uses it. I almost always have clients use it after I've fixed up their computers. Once in awhile they'll be really picky and not trust a free AV. I don't really recommend one at that point :p

5. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

I really hate Norton. The last time I used it my computer become useless because of all the resources Norton was consuming. It's been many years since that so maybe now it's better but at least what I've heard about it is that it's still the same.

I try to stay away from Norton and McAffe as much as I can.

6. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I Use MSE here too, haven't had any problems with it.

7. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

I use Kingsoft Free Antivirus. It's very lightweight. I don't have any problems with its scanning speed because it's very fast. It also detects a lot of viruses and deletes them immediately. And since it's free for life (no upgrades, etc.) I think that this is a clear winner in this department.

8. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

Kingsoft? Never heard of it! How long have you been using it?

9. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

I have been using it for over year now and it's actually pretty good. It immediately reports suspicious activities of different programs. It even has a full fledged USB antivirus. My only gripe is that it reports some false positives. There are things that I'm pretty sure that is clean and has no malware but Kingsoft reports it as a threat.

10. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

Huh. I may have to try it sometime. I'm a fan of MSE, but I'm always open to alternatives. Thanks!

11. ozadin

ozadin Member

My brother recently got a harmful malware called botnet. I have no idea what it is since I'm not really skilled in computers, but if anyone could tell me how to remove it, that would be fantastic. He gets the message when he enters Firefox, and my internet connection drops for about 2 minutes after he gets the message.

12. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Avast! Anti-virus. Simple, easy and small download, simple install, I love it. I just hate the "virus database updated" since it's so loud, but other than that it's great.

13. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

I'm not really too picky about my antivirus because if anything happens to my computer I just send it in and get it fixed (I have premium warranty). I've been using the computer for several years and never got a serious infection so I'm not too worried about antivirus programs. But I do have the Avast free version just in case I guess.

14. caparica007

caparica007 Member

I also use Microsoft Security Essentials. It has saved my laptop two years ago when it was badly infected and McAfee didn't do its job, so I have been using it ever since and I recommend it to everyone. Just do a full scan once or twice a month and you will be OK.

If for any reason MSE does let something pass you can try to run Combofix, it's a one-time run anti-virus that will clean everything unwanted from your PC.

15. altrouge

altrouge Member

I use Avast Free antivirus for my Windows, and ClamXav for my Mac. I used to have Eset Smart Security but I found a good free alternative so why not? I also used Microsoft Security Essentials but I just didn't like it.

16. caparica007

caparica007 Member

I wasn't aware Mac need anti-virus programs., Mac computers have virus? What didn't you like about MSE?

17. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I'm a fan of Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 64bit machines. I guess in Windows 8 it is instead called Windows Defender. However in older versions of Windows, Windows Defender is disabled when you install Microsoft Security Essentials.

18. danealegana

danealegana Member

Same here. MSE all the way for my Windows 7. Its lightweight and not much conflicts since it is a Microsoft product and the best of all its free. I just added a few other security tools to further enhance my security. You can check it out on my thread here: http://draalin.com/community/threads/the-way-i-protect-my-pc.73/

19. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I have AVG installed on both my desktop and laptop works great for me have been using them for quite some time before then I think I used Norton.

20. caparica007

caparica007 Member

This is something that really puzzles me. If Windows 8 already has Windows defender why do the laptops with Windows 8 I've seen so far come directly from the store already with another trial anti-virus installed? It's nonsense!