Which antivirus best for android?

Discussion in 'Android' started by momma2_4bratz, Feb 10, 2014.

1. momma2_4bratz

momma2_4bratz New Member

Hello I have an android tablet and I was wondering if it needs to have an antivirus program and if it does which one is the best option? I recently had to restore it to factor settings because it would kept saying that the processor was not working and would not open the keyboard and it was pretty annoying. I did not know any other way to fix it other than to just reset it. Thanks in advance for your replies

2. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

Did you hear about the Virus Shield scandal. Anyway, the virus actually has no protective features at all and it cost $3.99 on Google Play Store. This doesn't relate to the topic at hand 100% but it's just a heads up if you were looking for some antivirus software on the Android platform.

3. Oogles

Oogles Member

No anti-virus is the best. Last time I tried to install an anti-virus on my Android it made it crash into repetitive cycles of rebooting and I had to pay a few dollars to get it reprogrammed. The guy who fixed my phone told me that it happened because of the anti-virus and that the anti-virus wasn't really helping my phone in anyway. I was doubtful at first but I decided to listen to him and well it hasn't crashed since he fixed it so I'm going to take his advice for it.

4. thebeardlesswonder

thebeardlesswonder New Member

I wouldn't use one. I really don't think that they do much at all other than slow down your phone.

5. ~TheDarkKnight~

~TheDarkKnight~ New Member

The best anti virus for your Android phone would really be common sense. IMHO anti-virus apps on Android are mostly scams. If you stick to downloading apps from the official Play Store, you are good. These antivirus apps only slow down your phone and bring down your battery quickly.

6. babyleans

babyleans New Member

To be honest with you i don't think they help. But if you still want to install an antivirus app, there are so many. One common one is "lookout security."

7. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Member

I've heard from a programmer friend of mine that some of these "antivirus" carry viruses in them. So I guess, they just won't really serve their purpose. I suggest that you should be cautious about what you download.

8. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

The Google Play store has many malicious apps because there are very little security restrictions there, so yes you need an antivirus - without one malicious apps could access your contacts, send messages, make phone calls in the background, etc without you even knowing and Google Play is the worst place to get these sort of apps. In my opinion, the free version of Avast antivirus should be enough to protect your device, though there are also plenty of other free options out there.

9. LifeOrDeath

LifeOrDeath New Member

I used to have Avast antivirus but never really felt the need to have it. I wasn't doing anything malicious on my phone and the only thing it did was crash my phone a couple of times. So unless you are extremely paranoid about your phone, I don't think there is a need for one.

10. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

This really is backwards logic. A phone is capable of so much more than a computer and is so much easier to hack or to exploit. It's true that these devices have a built in firewall so there is some security but If I knew someone didn't have security software on their device I could very easily slap an app together today which would call a premium rate number in the background without you even knowing and would clock your phone bill right up (and I would get the money!) - yet when it happens to people who don't have any security software they wonder why it happened. Phones are a lot more vulnerable than computers - just take a look at the phone hacking scandal that happened in the UK a few years ago. If you believe you need an antivirus on your computer then you definitely need one on your phone. Not having one is a bit like going out for the day and leaving your windows open or leaving your keys in the car while you go in the shop. Additionally, if you don't have an antivirus then how are you going to know if your phone is infected or not? The answer: you won't know (until the bill comes maybe).