Which flavor wins in the long run?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by draalin, May 24, 2013.

?

Which flavor wins in the long run?

1. Fedora Core

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. CentOS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Debian

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Red Hat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. SuSE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Arch Linux

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  7. Ubuntu

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I'm going with Ubuntu as it seems like some schools are slowly switching over to Canonical s Ubuntu the past few year.

2. miganders

miganders Member

I have to go with Debian. It's so stable and functional, I'd call it the OSX of Linux. Great for just booting up and going to work, but with all the customization options Linux is known for.

3. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

I have to go with Ubuntu. Debian is one of the oldest linux distributions and it doesn't seem to be gone any time soon, it's widely used as a server distro and it's the base of many other linux distributions, but I think Ubuntu is the one that is more accessible to new users.

4. miganders

miganders Member

Yesterday I installed Xubuntu on an old machine and I have to say it's a lot nicer than I remember Ubuntu being, I might just switch on my main machine.

5. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

Debian for servers. Arch for desktops, sometimes Mint. I haven't been a fan of Ubuntu since they left Gnome :(

6. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

I abandoned Ubuntu when they left Gnome too. I don't remember which flavor I tried then but not much after I found Lubuntu and have been a happy Lubuntu user since then. I really like LXDE, it is a very lightweight and functional desktop. I liked XFCE a lot but for me LXDE is much much better. And Lubuntu has all the ease of use of Ubuntu. I'm a big fan.

7. Hotsumaro

Hotsumaro Living Encyclopedia

I'm actually surprised Arch is winning. Thought it would be mint or something

8. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

Now there's a tie between Ubuntu and Arch ;)

9. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

Ubuntu wins in the long run. In the 9 years that they've been around they're steadily gained a larger userbase of about 20 million users and it's steadily climbing. I've been hearing a lot about Arch recently though, and it should like it's got it's foot in the door when it comes to the Linux community. So I'm sure that we'll be left with Ubuntu, Arch (and Debian) on top when it comes to who will survive.

10. danealegana

danealegana Member

I am judging based on how popular it is right now and how they target their market and thats Ubuntu.
    They are surely making their interface more user friendly targeting more novice users for this matter and their LTS makes it even more needed.
    The vast tutorials on how to set up everything out there is one more reason. And it is already popular.
    Some people I know personally only knew of Ubuntu and somewhat confuses Linux with Ubuntu.

11. calebmelvern

calebmelvern New Member

Ubuntu has a really large user base. It's very user-friendly and those that are just starting out in Linux would most probably try Ubuntu first. Personally, I haven't used Ubuntu since Unity was released and I switched over to Mint. I'm thinking about giving Arch a try now that I know a little more about how Linux operates.