Which office do you use?

Discussion in 'Applications' started by kai_uk, Dec 3, 2013.

1. kai_uk

kai_uk New Member

Before we only had Microsoft Office 2000/03/07/10/13 but now we have openoffice, libreoffice, Office 365, various android versions for smartphones and tablets. Also there are cloud versions like google docs.

Which version are you using as your main office application?

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

By the thread's title I felt tempted to reply that the office I use is this, the one installed into my bedroom :D

Jokes aside, I tried to stick as much as possible to Microsoft Office 98 and, in fact, I still have this suite somewhere in my archived files.

I must admit that, since the beginning of the time I have never used Microsoft Office at all because, as most of the software included with Windows, it's useless to me.

I remember to have tried then PC Suite 2000 and Star Office as my first alternatives to Microsoft Office in the quest to find something without all the useless bells and whistles that this later has.

However PC Suite was first discontinued as a freeware option and I'm not sure if it's still developed, while Star Office (later Open Office) needing Java was always causing a serious system hog and, once again, I have never needed all those programs included with such suites.

I later got Microsoft Office 2003 and actually I have version 10 but not installed as I don't really need an office suite.

3. MyNameIsAlex

MyNameIsAlex New Member

^ Wow, Office 98. That's pretty retro - it would be cool to see if you could still make use of that. I find that a lot of the Office 'upgrades' are more style than substance, personally, and I bet I could carry out the vast majority of my job duties with Office 2000. Anyway..

I don't use an office package on my personal PC per se, as I don't need one. I use Linux, and the distro I use (Crunchbang) comes with Abiword (for word processing) and Gnumeric Spreadsheet which together more than meet my needs for writing letters and doing calculations and so on.

4. Linkzelda41

Linkzelda41 New Member

I currently use Microsoft Office 2013. For some reason, it’s a bit laggy at times, but that’s usually at start up, and I have to take into consideration that I usually type a lot of content frequently. Definitely loving the style and format, and has been a great help when it comes to spell checking and doing sessions that require typing to be done in tandem for cognitive development activities.

I have the package (Excel, PowerPoint, and such), but I have yet to use them since my academic years. Article writing and blog entries are a breeze thanks to Microsoft Word 2013 if you can learn how to get used to the various formats to be utilized at your disposal.

5. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I am using Office 2010. I had forgotten that there even was an Office 2013. Does anyone know if it will run on Windows 7? I would possibly download it if there were enough new features, particularly Excel which I use a lot.

6. Linkzelda41

Linkzelda41 New Member

Yeah, it works perfectly fine on Windows 7. I have a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, and I believe it can work decently enough if you have a 32-bit OS as well. The full package is included I believe (Excel and such), but I’m not sure if you can buy them separately.

7. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

I use MS Office 2007 and will continue to use it for a long time. I love it because of its simplicity and functionality. I think it is the best word processing software ever built.

8. Aditya Kulkarni

Aditya Kulkarni New Member

I am using Office 2013 and I must say, I am lovin' it! :)
    It is because this amazing animation effect I get when I type. This was not observed in the earlier version of Office. Moreover, when it comes to personalizing it, there is a wide scope for the same.
    On top of it, I always feel that there is yet more to discover from it ;) which makes it a better version than the previous ones.

9. NiaIsabelle

NiaIsabelle New Member

I've been using Microsoft Office all my life. Right now, I am using Microsoft Office 2013 and if another version comes out, I will be using that one. I always use their latest one. I love Microsoft Office and I think everyone can agree. Their software is simple and easy to use. Great features, design and updates.

10. Ahriman

Ahriman Member

I use open office. I haven't used the microsoft offices in about 4 years.

11. Oogles

Oogles Member

I use 2010, I currently don't see much difference between 2010 and 2013 so I'm sticking to the old one. I also tried to use open offices but I always came back to Microsoft office. The functionality and design is better in my opinion. Although Kingsoft, I believe, I'm not sure I remember it's name right, was also a great office replacement.

12. thebeardlesswonder

thebeardlesswonder New Member

I use Microsoft Office 2013. I'm not a big fan of Open office or any of the other free alternatives.

13. chie

chie Member

As much as I like the look of Office 2007 applications, I still prefer Office 2003. It is easier to navigate and find an option or menu. I know it only needs continuous use to get the hang of 2007, but after a couple of years, I still forget where to find some options/menu. Unlike 2003, it is right in front of your face. Less graphic but very simple and easy to use.

14. tipoywizard

tipoywizard New Member

I like MS Office 2007. Its design is quite interesting. I been using it for almost 2 years and it never fails me. I have also try LibreOffice, OpenOffice and Google Docs but MS Office 2007 is still the best. It is complete and all the thing that I needed in my job are there. I'm want to try MS Office 2010 and 2013 in future but they are quite very costly right now.

15. GearZ

GearZ Member

On my office workstation, I have a positively ancient version of Microsoft Office loaded (2000). Granted, since most of my work is in code and related, I don't use it as much as someone who does all day. At home, I have OpenOffice and LibreOffice, and I've been using the more quite a bit more often these days.

16. User911

User911 New Member

Well, I am turning to the Cloud and putting things on Google drive. I used to use Open Office but am gravitating toward the Cloud because of the auto-save. For a long time, I had privacy concerns but anything I do with a word document or spreadsheet is mundane enough so that I guess I don't care if someone should look at it. I'm way too cheap to ever pay for any MS Office products, although I think their next version will be free.

17. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

As per our office policy, we have shifted to the latest Office, is that 2007? Sorry, I'm not sure if that 2007 is the latest. Anyway, our MS Office in our home computer is the 2003 version which outputs a DOC. With the 2007 version, the output is DOCX. There's a big difference since our 2003 version cannot read DOCX. That's a problem when the client can only access DOC so our standard office procedure is NOT to use DOCX.

18. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I think the latest Microsoft Office is 2010, which is still more complex to navigate than 2007.

Actually I had to install the Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 due to clients requiring me to deliver articles in DOCX format, but I still have version 2003 because I may later need it, particularly if I'm able to resurrect an old computer that likely will have installed an older Windows version than I'm using now.