Which Windows OS did you use the most?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ozadin, Jun 7, 2013.

1. danealegana

danealegana Member

Back in grade school the first thing that Ive ever used was an XP.
    It was the one our school was using and since then I have used it for a very long time.

This is the OS that taught me everything and I really had a hard time letting it go since Windows 7 came out since some applications that I used needs to be updated and discarded updates for XP so I had to switch.

2. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I think for me it's Windows XP even though I use Windows 7 majority of the time I still use Windows Xp from time to time most of the time to play older games that don't quite work right with 7.

3. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

Windows XP was probably the one I used to most. It did have the longest time between the last release and next release than any other Windows version (excluding vista). After that we all switched to Windows 7. It's really a good and solid OS. Now I have Windows 8 as my Windows OS. I don't use it too often, but I actually quite like it. My laptop was shipped with Windows 7 but about two weeks after I got it they started shipping it with Windows 8, so all the drivers are available for my laptop. The Metro UI isn't too bad, and if it really annoys me I'll just buy StartIsBack and be done with it.

4. Seiryu

Seiryu Member

Having grown up in the era of XP I'd say that my most used OS would definitely be XP with a tie for second place between 2000 and 7. I have to say though that my most pleasant experience has been with Windows 7, though XP is kind of unfair to compare to such a new operating system. I've been hesitant to upgrade to Windows 8 because of a lot of bad reviews I've heard about it, not to mention the start menu that I dislike... I do enjoy the transfer dialogue box though, and that may eventually win me over...

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I used Windows 98SE insanely for around 10 years and it was, in my opinion and some from other techies, one of the most stable and useful operating system that Microsoft ever released.

I don't know when the support for this OS stopped, but I found an unofficial support forum that provided (and keep doing it) all the updates, fixes and customization necessary to keep running it in today's modern computers.

Undoubtedly I would still keep using if I wouldn't lost a generic graphics driver back in 2008. This is needed to avoid see the OS in a 600x400 resolution since there are no modern graphic drivers for Windows 98SE

Alternately I was running XP since 2003-2004 to a few weeks ago when my computer broke and have to get another with Windows 8 pre-installed.

XP is probably the second best after Windows 98SE and still it's to early to talk about Windows 8, but it has nicely surprised me, against my initial perception that would be a crap OS.

6. caparica007

caparica007 Member

Yep, I'm with you regarding Windows 8, this change of paradigm did well do Microsoft, they kinda copied Mac though. But yes, it's a much simpler interface, the major issue will be it's reliability.

I'm sticking with my XP though. :D

7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

True! And while against all odds Windows 8 was a surprise, you are hitting the nail on the head; now it's all about reliability, and looks like there are problems at sight...

Windows 8.1 has been released and it's available as a free upgrade. Many people have taken it, and half of them (or more) is having reliability problems whether because a failure to connect with the Internet, having error messages or experience performance problems.

There are still many more that says that the upgrade went smoothly, so who knows.

I will better wait before upgrading because, after all, I have still too much to discover using Windows 8.

8. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

For me it has to be XP. I never used it much but I do remember it being my family's main OS from when it came out around 2003 until maybe 2008ish making it the most used OS in time for me. It was my main OS from it's debut in ~2009 to about 2012 which is roughly 3 years. At this point I'm pretty happy with Windows 8 and as for Windows OSes it's my favourite (I'm not crazy I swear).

9. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsu New Member

I remember playing around with 3.x back in my younger days at other folks' houses. Not enough to really know what I was doing with it, just playing games. Same with 95. Win98 was the OS we had when my parents first got a computer, and I got pretty good with that, and continued getting more knowledgeable once we got XP. I avoided Vista, but got in on 7 with the RC and have been there since. I will not use 8. It looks stupid, and from what I've heard, nobody that knows anything likes it. If I get a new comp in the next couple years, I'll stick with 7.

10. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

Even though most of you guys say XP is the best but I would like to stick to Windows 7 because of a number of known factors. Either way I also appreciate XP because it was the first operating system I used before upgrading with time.

11. skywatcher

skywatcher New Member

I think XP was my first operating system, and I've used this for most of my experience in terms of using a computer - but I've been relying more on Windows 7 especially for the games and the applications. Though given the chance, I think I'd rather go back to XP because of the simplicity and the flexibility of the system.

12. Ahriman

Ahriman Member

Windows 7, maybe XP being a close second. Going by the operating systems I've had on different computers I believe I have had 7 on ..3-4 PCs/Laptops already while XP was on two laptops and one PC, but its been forever since I've used XP. I do not care for Windows 8 at all, I hate the whole look and feel of it so I'll try to stick to 7 as long as I can.

13. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

Windows 7. Iv'e only had the OS for a couple of years but I have been using my computer more than ever. I think its great because there's basically no learning curve if you've used any Windows OS to come before it.

14. themonk3y

themonk3y New Member

Same here I have been using windows 7 for 2 years now before that I have used windows xp, windows 98 and windows 2000 (partially at school). Before windows 7 I had been using a PC with windows XP for around 6-7 years and before that windows 98 for a couple of years. I have used windows 8 but for some reasons I like using windows 7.

I remember using windows 98 and I also remember when I upgraded from 98 to windows XP and I was amazed to see the such beautiful graphics. The PC with windows XP on it looked a lot more beautiful. But then I found out that most games do not work with windows XP, which was in the start so I had to go back to windows 98 for some time again.

15. Jojo83

Jojo83 New Member

I have used Windows XP the most. I have it installed in my old desktop since 2003 and it's still functioning to this day. In my opinion, Windows XP is one of the best if not the best Windows OS ever. It is stable, fast and simple. All in all a very reliable OS.

16. hollysheats

hollysheats New Member

I use windows 8 the most. I used Windows xp,but did not like it. I did not like Windows 7 either.

17. missbishi

missbishi Member

It was XP for me too. I used it from 2004 right up until 2010 and even now, I'm still using Windows 7. I will be waiting for Windows 10 to come out before I upgrade though. Thankfully I've managed to avoid too much interaction with Windows 8 and will be glad to see the back of it at work!

18. GearZ

GearZ Member

In terms of number of hours logged on the OS, there is no doubt it is XP. I've used it on a ton of boxes over its entire life span. Windows 7 and 95, in that order, are in there somewhere. I bounced back between a Windows 2000 box and a Sun Solaris box for a couple years around the turn of the century. I forget how much I used 3.x back in the day, but it was a dog. Not as bad as ME which, thankfully, I only had to mess with to test some code on.

19. Spaaze

Spaaze New Member

It's a tie between Windows 7 and Windows XP for me aswell.
    I've been using XP for nearly 4 years, but I'm heading onto these 4 years now with Windows 7 aswell. However, most of the time I've been using Linux distributions.