Who jailbreaks their iPhone? Why?

Discussion in 'iOS' started by EdenSB, May 21, 2013.

?

Do you jailbreak? (Only answer if you have an iPhone)

1. Yes, I do.

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No, I don't.

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

For you people who have an iPhone; do you jailbreak it? If yes, why do you? If no, why not?

I'll start off by saying that yes, I have done it to my iPhone. I kept getting nuisance calls from people trying to sell me things and the iPhone doesn't have a way to deal with that normally. Cydia however has some useful applications for it, including one which I use called CallBlocker. It does what the name says almost - it doesn't block them but it auto-disconnects if I save the number.

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I did mine specifically for the Cydia apps. The app store app's didn't have the functionality I needed.

One of the main reasons I got rid of my iPhone was because of how locked down the app store is. :mad:

3. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

Do you recommend any Cydia applications in particular? I haven't explored it much and I only found CallBlocker by specifically searching for ways to block calls on an iPhone. iBlacklist was also mentioned as a better method, but it costs more.

4. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Well the one I most used was just a regular "terminal". I used it to run other applications in the background on my phone.

I also used a notification app. I don't remember the name exactly but it made your lock screen fully customization, was pretty awesome.

5. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

I don't have my 4S jailbroken, but I did jailbreak my old 3GS. I pretty much only use it as a media player on a dock, so I don't mind if I end up screwing it up. While I do see the added functionality that jailbreaking offers as being useful, I'm just wary of bricking my phone. Most of the time that I'd need access to a terminal or IRC or anything like that, if I'm not at my computer, I've got my Android tablet with me.

6. webMastaDan

webMastaDan New Member

I don't jail break mine. too scared that i might brick it or something. Plus there are so many guides out there I dunno which ones are actually legit!

7. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

I jailbreak my iPhone for cydia tweaks. I also like the free apps that I could get. I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

8. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

This is actually a good point. When I started searched for how to do it, it took me a quite to figure it out. There were so many guides and most of them didn't explain exactly what version they'd work for.

9. catwalker90

catwalker90 New Member

I have an iPad and I want to jailbreak it, but I'm worried it would ruin it and I'm not willing to risk that for a couple more apps.

10. daenerys

daenerys Member

I have jailbroken mine before, but I don't now. I thought the best feature of jailbreaking was the ability to tether your phone's internet for free, because I believe that SHOULD be free. I'm paying for the data plan, I should be able to decide how to use it. However, Apple tends to update iOS fairly frequently, and you have to wait for the new version of iOS to get jailbroken before you can upgrade, and I never could have that kind of patience. That is why I no longer jailbreak. If there was a compelling enough reason, I might consider it again in the future.​

11. jesikat

jesikat New Member

I had mine jailbroken because I was starting to get bored with the phone. Having it jailbroken opened up a whole new world of customization, and I spent days just sorting out my theme and installing tweaks to get it just how I wanted. Having something that was my "personal" style made me interested in using the phone again other than what I usually did (regular phone calls, the occasional text message).

12. rosemaryzephyr

rosemaryzephyr New Member

I haven't jailbroken mine, mostly because I haven't had the time and I haven't felt a pressing need to. If I were bored or really wanted a particular feature only achievable with a jailbreak, I'd consider doing it, but the advantages don't outweigh the risks for me right now.

13. ozadin

ozadin Member

The question is why you don't you jailbreak your iPhone?

I think that jail breaking your iPhone just gives you more customization to everything. You can change your themes, lock screen, and basically everything you can think of. Without jailbreaking it, I would choose the android phones instead. They offer more games and better features which I like.

14. Asparagus

Asparagus New Member

I don't really see the need. I really just use it for the core features, and I'm happy with the way it is. I am thinking of switching to Android for my next phone. I'll see what iOS 7 has.

15. daenerys

daenerys Member

If you're into those customizations for the home screen, I can see that as a reason. Personally, every single modified home screen I've ever seen looked worse than the one Apple designed, so that wasn't a motivator for me. I'm curious to see how iOS7 will look with all these flat design rumors.

16. Seiryu

Seiryu Member

I jailbroke my phone for two different reasons:
    The first was that I wanted to unlock my iPhone to use different SIM cards, a useful feature when you're travelling to foreign countries for extended periods of time, and the second was because I'm a huge customization junkie, and not being able to affect your springboard at all bugged me. After heavy customization, I was able to get my phone looking how I want, that never ceases to impress my friends who have never jailbroken their iPhone.
    [​IMG]
    The added functionality from Cydia apps is great, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone that's willing to learn!

17. daenerys

daenerys Member

@Seiryu Is that switch beside the settings icon at all functional? Like as a wifi on and off switch from the home screen? That is a feature I've always wanted. Again, not badly enough to jailbreak, but I do think it'd be quite handy. Also, do you have one of the better customized home screens I've seen, but I still like Apple's better. Yours doesn't have the quick visual shortcut of like looking for a blue icon for weather, green for phone, etc. If that makes sense. I find that helps my speed in finding an app a lot.

18. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

There are a few downsides. Mostly not being able to update to the latest iOS until a jailbreak has been made for it. There are also apparently a few applications which just don't work on a jailbroken phone, such as my bank's application.

19. ozadin

ozadin Member

I don't see the need to update the IOS other than useless features like the UI change on the App Store. The applications that don't work means that something is interfering with the app. Does it quickly open and shut, or does it just show a black screen and then exit? There might be some cydia applications you installed that interfered with the app. It happened to me once, and I didn't know what happened. I tried restoring my iPod, and everything, but in the end, all it was, was a simple cydia app.

20. shloka

shloka New Member

I jailbroke my ipad to get the cydia apps. It gives me better control over my Ipad. One of the apps let me open multiple apps on my Ipad, so that they could be used simultaneously. It also allowed me to install siri on my Ipad. The other reason is that it is completely reversible. If some problem comes in my Ipad and if it is under warranty then I can undo jailbreaking on my Ipad and apple guys would never know! :)