Why buy a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by jesikat, May 24, 2013.

1. jesikat

jesikat New Member

While Macbooks are the by far the prettiest laptops I've seen, I don't see why they're so great for the average user. My father wants to purchase one for "editing reasons" (basically he'll play around with audio and video software and get bored of it after a while), but I just can't justify the price for him to play around with a new toy for a couple of hours. What were your reasons for purchasing one?

2. francis675

francis675 New Member

Well, I already have a Mac (can't afford a new one just yet though!) and I would say they are definitely worth the extra money because of the increased performance. If you mainly edit audio or video or do graphic design, then a Mac is far more useful than a Windows laptop. Also, they are must smoother when it comes to web tasks, too. The only thing I use a Windows laptop for is work, because of certain software applications I need.

If your father is completely new to Macs, let him know that it will take a while and some persistence before he is able to navigate it properly...While a Mac is way more intuitive than a Windows PC, if you've learned how to use a computer on a Windows machine, then it will take a while to re-learn things.

Perhaps a used mac will be the best value for him if cost is your main concern? There are many refurbished models available, plus eBay etc if you know what to look for.

3. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

I don't own a Mac but I have used Macs before and I LOVE Mac OS X. It has so many things that I would like to have on Linux and, as it is an UNIX-like system, it has a very handy and powerful command line.

If I could I would buy a Mac. I don't see the price being a negative factor because the truth is that every high-end computer has prices in the range of the Mac's. If you want a high-end HP, Vaio or Dell you would end up paying the same that you would pay for a Mac and the truth is that the operating system from the Mac is something that's worth the price.

4. Asparagus

Asparagus New Member

Yes, that's the thing. People say macs are overpriced, but if you look at PCs with similar specs there isn't a huge price difference. I absolutely love OSX and I think it is superior to windows in almost every way. I haven't had much experience with Linux though. I'm thinking of trying out with Ubuntu.

5. francis675

francis675 New Member

Yeah, I should probably add to my comment that it's OSX that makes Macs so great, rather than just hardware specs. If you could buy OSX as a standalone OS for any laptop, I would be very happy!

6. miganders

miganders Member

I regularly recommend different operating systems and hardware to different people.
    OSX is great for artists and my parents - windows is great for gamers - linux, well it depends on the distro.
    Mac hardware is usually pretty decent, albiet somewhat overpriced in my opinion.

7. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

If I'd buy a Mac, it'd be mostly because it's hard to catch viruses. Also, Mac's are very quick (or so I heard).

8. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

Yes, OS X is the reason why I think Macs are not over priced. When buying a PC you are also buying a Windows license. The same applies when buying a Mac. The only difference is that with a PC you are buying Windows and with a Mac you are getting OS X which is thousand times better OS than Windows is.

9. daenerys

daenerys Member

As @Asparagus kind of said, PCs only seem cheaper to people because they offer more lower-quality options. Like, you can't get a MacBook without a built in webcam, lit keyboard, etc. From what I've seen when you start making Dells or whatever the same specs as as MacBooks they usually come out close in price.

One extra value thing you get from Macs is the ability to take it into the Genius Bar if anything goes wrong. Which maybe doesn't sound that great, but it can be. I had a weird spot show up on my iPhone's camera recently, took it to the Apple store and had a brand new replacement phone within 20 minutes. You have this ability via the warranty for the first year, or you can extend it with AppleCare.

I would also mention that Macs tend to give you more nice software with their OS, you have iPhoto where you can organize and edit your photos and iMovie for videos. I don't think Windows offers much similar software, at least of any quality.

10. mjhunter23

mjhunter23 New Member

For me the main reasons for Mac are; they have much better software for creative people (e.g. Final Cut), they look good which is a nice feature although in recent years they are taking it a bit too far and you don't need to play with any settings on Windows I found you have to spend some time optimizing your computer to get the best from it Mac take this out of the equation which can be good in that it saves hassle but it could mean you cant do things exactly how you wanted.