Why do people like Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Oogles, May 24, 2014.

1. Oogles

Oogles Member

I've been bugged about this for a while now and I'm a PC person who wants to understand but I owned a mac a couple of years ago and I found that it was really hard to use and couldn't play games. Long story short I was disappointed, sold it and got a good PC for the price. I wanted to ask why people like Mac so much when you're just going to install boot camp on it for something anyways? and doesn't that kind of beat the usefulness of Mac's own OS?

2. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Member

I agree that using a Mac does take some getting used to, I've used both and Macs are much more of a pain I believe. Most of the time when I use a Mac, I use and external mouse and keyboard because it makes things easier. I think that their are (3) reasons that most people use one. The first reason is that many other people use it these days and they think it will help them fit in more. The second reason is that it has a very nice sleek look. And lastly, the third reason I think is that they are very thin with a great display two things that PCs haven't fully reached yet. I personally don't find the OS very useful but their are some people who swear by it. Some people like the OS but use bootcamp because that is the only way to get the software they want.

3. Dez97

Dez97 New Member

I think people really like them, because they have a good operating system, they are able to go for long years and they last longer than a longer computer, as well as people love apple products because they've always worked out.

4. chendoguy

chendoguy New Member

I like Apple/Mac's because "They just work". A few years ago it was an issue trying to find software that is compatible with a Mac but now, 9 out of 10 times, the software you can run on a PC, you can now run on a Mac.

I think if you give it another try (whether in store or use a friends), you'll notice how much different and improved Mac's are.

5. JessiFox

JessiFox New Member

Well I definitely agree with you that they take some getting used to, a bit more of a learning curve than just jumping right on a PC. But I think they're worth it at the same time, they tend to last quite a while and once you get the hang of them, they can be very efficient.

6. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Member

I also know a couple of people who prefer MAC. They even have this saying that goes like, "Once you get a MAC, you can't go back." They mentioned that this is about the quality. It seems that these MAC computers and laptop are made of such high-quality materials and it shows itself off by performing well.

7. eMike22

eMike22 New Member

I think It's because Apple products are generally easier to use than Windows machines. They definitely are more stable, and that's pretty much what the average user wants from a computer: stability and ease of use. A large percent of the people who buy macs are inexperienced users who just need a computer that's easy to use I guess. Plus, let's face it: the guys at Apple really know what they're doing in terms of design. All Apple products look awesome.

8. isabbbela

isabbbela New Member

I have only had PCs up to today, I have only had Apple products with iPhones and iPad, never a Mac. However, what i did hear from people that defend Mac is that there are barely no errors and no viruses. Having less errors in the OS is definitely a plus, but the viruses I think it's because way less people have Mac computers and that is why they don't even bother with viruses for them... maybe I'm being naive! But from my iPhone and iPad (which I sold last month), I can say I don't think they are overly special, or at least not superior enough to Android to justify the superior prices. But that is just my opinion!

9. GearZ

GearZ Member

I used to hate the Mac product line. The ones the came out in the late 80s were fine, but the 90s was an absolute joke. Under-powered, clunky, stupid UX/UF ... ugh. And as someone who cut his teeth on Unix and DOS, I couldn't have cared less about a GUI in the really old days (80s and early 90s). I wouldn't buy them and regularly advised people to avoid the overpriced crap produced by Apple. Then the 2000s rolled around and I still thought they were pretty bad.

Then somewhere around the turn of the decade, they started getting good. Thin, light, powerful, fast booting, zero malware problems, and throwing a Windows image on the side gave me Mac OS X, Unix, and Windows in one ultra thin package I could easily transport during business travel. I bought one. Then another. So why do I, after decades of ignoring all things Apple, do I like them? Well:

• The ones I use "just work". No compatibility issues. No flaky driver crap. No BSoD fun. No DLL hell.
    • I've had like one or two crashes in Mac OS X over many years. How many in Windows? I, literally, forget.
    • Installing new software is painless.
    • The notebooks are very thin, very light, and very compact. PC technology has matched this, of course, in recent years, but still. For my office machines I run big, ugly, and powerful Windows boxes. For travel, the MacBook Air works.
    • Nearly every app I need is available on Mac now and/or is on the cloud. For those rare times I need to deal with Win32/64, there is Boot Camp and I have a Windows 7 system setup on said. And it works, flawlessly.
    • I can write code on it just fine and dandy, thank you very much. Secondary tools are also available.
    • Most, though not all, of my primary amateur radio apps are now on Mac OS X.
    • It has Unix under the hood. I'm an old school Unix nerd and for the rare occasion I need to much around in said, I can.
    • No malware. Well, close to malware, but so close, I don't care.
    There are two cons:
    • The cost, when compared to similar hardware, is high.
    • You look like a hipster. So much so that even I want to punch myself. ;)
    Anyway, I hope that wall of text answers the question.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  10. musicmonster

musicmonster New Member

First of all, it's because its design is exquisite. It's more user-friendly than windows and linux. At least these are the things that I appreciate about Macs.