Why do some people dislike Windows 8 so much?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by themarksquared, May 19, 2013.

1. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

Hello everyone! I am Mark, and I have a question for you.

Why do some people dislike Windows 8 so much to the point that they'd prefer Vista over it? Is it because of the changes? The expensive price tag? The number 8?

I, for one, love Windows 8 and I'm having a blast using it. Maybe it's just me, but I love how metro looks! I concur that it has its flaws, but I honestly don't think it deserves all the hate its getting.

I need your opinion. Please feel free to share. I will NOT judge you. Thanks!

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I love Windows 8, but I don't use metro at all. The boot speed/driver searches are just amazing.

I think Windows 8.1 Blue will solve the main problem people have with Windows 8 (the start menu).

3. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

I absolutely love Windows 8. I'm unsure why the majority hates it so much. But I believe it's because Microsoft took out the start bar. Either way, I hope Windows 8 doesn't change too much in their new releases!

4. SweetTeaRex

SweetTeaRex New Member

I only like Windows 8. I'm not sure if it's the Samsung I purchased or the OS that's giving me the problem but my mouse freezes a lot, and the scrolling through the tiles gets glitchy for me. It's not a bad OS just needs some TLC! :) I am hopeful that Microsoft will eventually get all of the bugs out.

5. rage35

rage35 Member

I don't think that I would hate Windows 8. I don't have a Windows 8 but when I looked at the feature and how Windows 8 run, I am already liking it. I like the Metro-UI, for me that's the best thing that Windows 8 have. I don't care if they removed the start menu but everything is all well done.

6. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

I haven't used Windows 8 that much. In fact I have only used it when I need to configure the network adapters of someone who wants to connect at work, but just that little basic thing seems to be really hard on Windows 8 because I struggle a lot to find the configuration screens I'm looking for. That's the only thing I have done with Windows 8 and I sincerely tell you that's enough for me to not want to use Windows 8.

7. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

To be fair, I haven't used 8 since the beta came out. It just seemed clunky to use if you aren't on a tablet. I do, however, use Windows Server 2012 which shares its interface with 8. I'm getting used to it there and may end up trying it on my laptop again.

My biggest issue was Metro, like it was for most people. Hopefully they'll polish things up with 8.1.

8. daenerys

daenerys Member

I think it was all the Live Tiles stuff being more suited for a tablet? I haven't used it myself, I've used a Windows 8 Phone though, and I am not a fan of the whole metro design style. I feel like nothing has priority, which can be fine for a home screen, but when you get into like a bunch of Facebook posts, I think it looks like a mess.

9. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I have a lot of friends who play PC games. They told me that they don't want to use Windows 8, mostly because it's incompatible with a lot of games. I think that this would have been fixed by now, but this reputation might have stuck around. Vista had similar issues.

10. daenerys

daenerys Member

I remember hearing that too, in fact I heard some game companies were claiming they'd never support it, if I'm not mistaken. I still have Windows 7 on my gaming PC and don't see much reason to upgrade it, especially since gaming is all I do with it. I wonder if those companies are indeed still sticking to that policy.

11. burnty

burnty New Member

I don't hate windows 8, but I haven't upgraded since I didn't really see the point of paying so much for it when I have windows 7 that still works fine.
    However I think a lot of people hate it because of the concept that they merged tablets and desktops.
    And because it seems that Microsoft is trying to lock down their systems a bit more, similarly to what Apple already does.

12. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

One of my friends uses Windows 8 and tells me that he hasn't found anything that it doesn't support. He only came to Windows 8 a few months back though, so I assume by that time a lot of the game developers decided to go back on that and add support.

13. daenerys

daenerys Member

I think it was Valve I was thinking of, I haven't tried it of course, but a quick search says Steam doesn't officially support Windows 8. So if you have a problem, you're on your own with it. Might be something to consider if you're a big Steam user thinking about upgrading.

14. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

The main problem with windows 8 is the start menu but that should not be an issue if you are an expert on using Windows. Personally I am enjoying using Windows 8 and would recommend it to a friend.

15. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

It's funny how something as simple as omitting the Start Menu would cause an OS to completely bomb. Seriously, if any of the people that conceptualized that are still employed by Microsoft I would be shocked. They basically caused Microsoft to lose a significant amount of market share for desktops and laptops - and companies like Google to swoop in with their Chromebooks.

I think people just view the Metro UI as an extra layer of interference getting in the way of their productivity. Nobody has ever really been able to make a case for it, as to why anyone would want it.

16. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsu New Member

I've not tried Win 8 myself, but we have it on the projector laptop at church, and the pastor in charge of programming it says he doesn't like it so far. While I don't use the Start Menu for everything, things felt a lot cleaner with it than without. Also, I don't like the idea of a desktop/laptop OS being designed around use on tablets and phones. They are two completely different things. While there's times I would like programs from the PC world on a tablet, I'm fine without and vise versa, compared to the pain of using a mobile OS on a desktop. And the interface reminds me too much of AOl from '95. Mistakes are better left non-repeated.

17. dammzyy

dammzyy New Member

I think it is because of the fact that it is different. Never has a home screen been like that on Windows. It takes quite a bit to get used to it, but once you're used to Windows 8, you're hooked.

18. NiaIsabelle

NiaIsabelle New Member

I personally don't like Windows 8. I don't like the features and how different it is to the previous versions of Windows. I use Windows 7 and Windows Vista for home and work even though the latest is Windows 8 because I just don't get a long with it. Every time I use a laptop or a computer of a friend or family that has Windows 8 on, I always get confuse and frustrated. They should have included the start menu button because that is the number one reason why I end up opening a destination and I don't even know what I did to get there. Honestly, Windows 8 shouldn't have been installed and made-to-use for computer and laptops. It is more practical for tablets and windows phone and it should stay that way.

19. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Member

I don't hate Windows 8, but I would much rather use Windows 7. I do not like the start up menu at all. It feels weird using an interface that looks and feels more like it is meant for a tablet, on an actual desktop. It just isn't practical to me. They took such a drastic turn with Windows 8 and disappointed a lot of people.

20. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuff New Member

I don't like Windows 8 because I could not log into Skype or install Spotify. Those are two programs I use a lot so not being able to access them was a big thumbs down for W8. I disliked it so much I returned the laptop I purchased that had W8 and bought a more expensive one that still had W7.