Why do you prefer windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rashidckk, May 11, 2013.

1. rashidckk

rashidckk Member

Windows 8 is out for a while and Microsoft started working of Windows 9 but still why do you prefer Windows 7 over Windows 8?
    In my case I am owning a desktop PC and one of my friend told me Windows 8 isn't suitable for desktops. Hence I decided to stick with Windows 7.

wowtgp likes this.
  2. Nilly

Nilly New Member

I'm using Windows 8 on my laptop. However, I'm not having great experiences with it.
    First, it is really slow. I use my laptop usually to play games but I can't play many games because they are too slow. I think it uses too much CPU and RAM.
    Also, I can't install drivers for my hardwares. My laptop is pretty old and most drivers aren't compatible with Windows 8.
    Therefore, I'm planning to switch back to Windows 7.

3. mika

mika New Member

I find windows8 Pro to perform better than the widows 7 Pro I had. The only thing I don't like about it so far is changing from app screens to desktop mode. I have installed some stardock utilities to make it more user friendly on a desktop but I still don't like it. I also have to install most of my programs such of skype using desktop instead of the app because I find it annoying having to switch back a forth. I am still new to windows8 so I will continue to use it for a while but I think at this rate I will switch back to windows7.

4. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I feel like I am the only person who went to Windows 8 with no real complaints other than the Start Menu which can easily be replaced.

Windows 7 was and is still amazing compared to its predecessor but the boot time and extra drivers are just too good for me to give up.

5. fermlour

fermlour Member

I have not tested the windows 8, just used XP, Viste and now 7.
    I'm quite happy with windows 7 and I've heard that windows 8 is a bit slower than the 7, do not know if it's true or not! and honestly I've tried tinkering on windows 8 in a store and could not exit the main menu D

6. Nilly

Nilly New Member

Windows 8 is too slow. Do NOT use it. It has some compatibility issues and it is too slow. Also, it doesn't support many drivers and if your computer is old, your drivers won't be supported. Also, it have some bugs. I regret getting Windows 8 and I'm planning to go back to Windows 7.

7. draalin

I have none of those problems. Might just be your hardware, what are your computer specs?

My old laptop seems to find more drivers from Windows 8 (I don't have to manually download drivers like I did for Windows 7).

Also on my main computer it boots in 2/3 the time my Windows 7 did!

8. Nilly

Nilly New Member

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP-R580-JSB1US-specs
    This is the spec of my computer. Windows 8 couldn't find my wireless Internet's driver and my graphic card's driver so I had to install them manually.

My laptop slows down 2/3 the time my Windows 7 did. I can't even play some games that I used to play with Windows 7 because of the lag.

9. danealegana

danealegana Member

For me, I really have no choice but to install Windows 7 since Windows XP will no longer be supported by Microsoft until next year I think, so I had to familiarize my self with Windows 7. Windows 8, I havent tested it yet but might consider trying it next time but I think a lot of applications out there are not yet Windows 8 compatible. Just correct me if Im wrong.

10. maurovis

maurovis New Member

For me, and for many Windows 7 was a huge improvement from Vista that I haven't even transitioned to Windows 8 yet. I guess I'm just affraid of what might happen.

11. fermlour

fermlour Member

If it is slow on your computer, so imagine my computer that is super old.

12. TIEro

TIEro New Member

Honestly, I prefer WinXP.

Windows 7 is very nice but most of the visible changes annoy the heck out of me. They slow everything down, they don't work how they should and they cause more trouble than they're worth. The perfect example is the absolutely appalling "new" version of the Explorer window... worst UI in Windows for years.

I haven't tried Windows 8 as most of the stuff I've seen surrounding it involves adding even more pointless pretties to eat up CPU and memory without really achieving much.

However, my opinion is coloured by two things: I'm a long-time user and I use a desktop. So I'm still extremely comfortable with a mouse and keyboard. Touch-screen functionality is too inaccurate in most circumstances for my liking and just wastes resources when a mouse does the same job. Since I have no need for a tablet or even a smart phone, many of the changes in Win8 are pointless.

13. bowst

bowst New Member

I do prefer Windows 7, but what I don't understand is some of the blind insults hurled towards Windows 8 as an OS, just because it's a step away from the traditional desktop experience, in a very small way.

Claiming that Windows 8 is slower is something that really confuses me, the vast majority of benchmarks done clearly show that Windows 8 has superior performance in that less of your computer's resources are used by the OS itself, not to mention the faster boot time. I guess in some use cases, such as use of extremely outdated hardware, there could be a negative impact, but for the vast majority of users, especially those browsing a technology forum, I don't see that as an issue.

14. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

Windows 7 has no real problems that I've noticed. Things are easy to access. There are no common issues that I've come across. All seems to be well and it was a big improvement over Vista.

Windows 8 I've only used a little. I haven't upgraded to it mostly because of the compatibility issues with certain games. I imagine that will decrease as time goes by though.

15. foitoi

foitoi Member

I prefer it just because I am used to windows 7 now. The new look and feel of the windows 8 is just not right for me. I know how to use windows 7 and it looks great for me :) And I will not buy windows 8 because my windows 7 is still working perfectly :)

16. draalin

I feel so outnumbered being the only person who is actually enjoying Windows 8 (Minus the metro as I don't use it)

[​IMG]

17. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

Windows 7, for me, just works. I tried Windows 8 when the beta came out, but metro is just too...blocky for me. I don't see myself moving over anytime soon. 7 is fast and has all the features I currently need. It's also a lot easier for my family to use than 8 is. When I tried 8, it was sluggish and not so responsive; however, I admit that was the beta, so I may give it another try sometime soon!

18. burnty

burnty New Member

I haven't upgraded simply because I don't see a need for it, why would I pay for an upgrade if this OS still works fine? If I buy a new laptop it will be with Windows 8 (maybe 9 by that time) though and I don't have a problem with that, Windows 8 caters to tablets but it still works well on laptops and desktops. Some of the features that "were made for tablets" can be very nice on a desktop as well

19. chironex

chironex New Member

All the programs I use often are compatible with Windows 7. It has all of the features and built-in things I need as well. Its the clear choice, I don't want to upgrade to Windows 8 because 7 is satisfying all of my needs right now and I don't see the point in shelling out all that money.

20. Kreemz

Kreemz New Member

My laptop came with Windows 7, and honestly, with all my experience in using XP, Windows 8, and the Mac OS, I see no reason to switch anytime soon.

It's well-known that most applications cater to Windows first, and after seeing how the Mac OS operates, I feel safer and more comfortable sticking with Windows. Most applications I will ever download will run on Windows 7, and its speed is good enough to satisfy both my working and gaming needs.

Windows 8's attempt to bring in their mobile style of displaying things was disappointing. I really don't see much of any benefit in switching to Windows 8, and know that Windows 7 will serve me well for years to come.