Why do you prefer Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by themarksquared, May 24, 2013.

1. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

Hello draalinists

Windows XP has a special place in my heart. It was actually the first operating system I've ever used. In addition to that, it is also the operating system in which I spent the longest time using. I loved the XP due to its simplicity and reliability. It was fast during that time and it provided me with all of my PC needs.

Unfortunately, my relationship with the Windows XP had to end due to the fact that a flood destroyed my only desktop computer. After that, I've used Windows 7 for two years and currently, I'm using Windows 8.

With that in mind, I know that are still people here who are using the XP. With that, I would like to ask, why do you prefer Windows XP?

Feel free to share. Let's discuss. Thanks!

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Whole reason I went to Windows XP back when it came out was because Windows ME was complete garbage. The UI overall was just so nice compared to any of its predecessors.

3. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

I used Windows XP when I had my first computer. But as soon as Windows Vista came out, I switched to it.

I like Windows XP because of the programs it has. It's really nice because it's how I learned to use the computer.

4. jesikat

jesikat New Member

It's simpler to use. Just like you, I started out with Windows XP and sometimes prefer it to Vista. It's just an overall really pleasant experience.

5. rage35

rage35 Member

I prefer Windows XP because of its simplicity and easy to use. There are a lot of applications that runs using Windows XP. I don't want to upgrade into a higher version of Windows because I am already contented with Win XP but I still need to upgrade into the latest Windows 8 because the support for XP will end next year.

6. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

Since Windows 7, I prefer that. Before Windows 7 though, I preferred XP for these reasons; It was incredibly simple to use. It was compatible with most software. It was a lot more graphically pleasing than previous versions. It wasn't Vista. I probably used it for the longest time of any operating system.

7. quark

quark New Member

Windows XP doesn't use much ram if we compare it to Vista or Windows 7/8, therefore it's great for older pc's that doesn't have much ram. Though XP is old and slow and the UI isn't that great in my opinion. What really revolutionized Windows was when the search function in the Start-menu was made in Vista (not saying I love vista), I can't live without it :)

8. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

For an older computer, nothing beats XP. If the computer can't support 7, then it gets XP, especially if I'm working on one for a less technically-abled client. It works and works well, with very few problems.

9. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

Windows XP and Windows 7 are both awesome Operating Systems. I love using either one of them. Windows XP is the best for old hardware but it can be a pain on new computers because of compatibility issues with drivers and such.

10. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

Keep in mind that Microsoft are going to stop supporting XP with updates within a year. While more technically minded users should be fine, this does leave vulnerabilities due to the lack of security updates.

Apart from that issue, I do agree that XP is the best for older computers.

11. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

If next year Windows XP continues to be widely used on the market I'm pretty sure Microsoft won't stop the support as they said they would.

12. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

Haven't they said they'd stop the security updates several times? I've heard that they absolutely plan on stopping them sometime in the next few months, but that they're only stopping releasing new updates. All of the currently available updates will remain available.

13. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

Yup, XP is the best when it comes to old computers. It's fast and reliable and easy to use. Actually, my mom now mostly uses my laptop with XP installed and she hasn't encountered any problems to date. It's simple and it gets the job done. The only downside of XP is that it is no longer compatible with some new programs. It also lacks the cool customization options that Windows 7 has.

14. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I remember reading years ago they said something about the summer 2013 to end support. Seems like the date is now April 8th, 2014. Source: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx

15. Zencord

Zencord New Member

I think XP is just easier to use than even Windows 7, it seems to be less CPU consuming and also more stable and secure. I am using Windows 7 at the moment but my second desktop computer is running Windows XP, I have had less issues with Windows XP than I have for Windows 7 so I suppose that is saying something too. The downside of course with XP is that the support base for it is quickly diminishing now that Windows 7 stands as top dog, and with the recent release of Windows 8 too.

16. caparica007

caparica007 Member

I am used to Windows XP, I know where everything is so it is very practical to me. My pc at work is running Windows 7, so sometimes I end up trying to do things on XP that don't work, but nothing major, like for example using the command line on the start menu (using the "run" sometimes is not the exact same thing).

17. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I prefer Windows XP because I'm unable to keep running Windows 98SE which is my very favorite operating system and one of the best Microsoft has ever released.

In fact I was able to run it until a couple of years because there is an unofficial support group that has kept updating the software since over a decade ago, so it can run in modern computers. However the problem is that I lost the generic graphics driver and although I can run it still, it show at 600 x 480 screen resolution without such driver, besides it needs to be connected to the Internet via Ethernet because I have not a driver for my Wi-Fi card.

So due to all the above, I decide to run Windows 2000 for some time, until I finally opted for Windows XP as the second best choice after trying Vista and Windows 7, which I found more eye-candy than really useful in a productive environment, which is my common setting.

18. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I loved windows xp because I have never had any issues with it never had to reinstall the os even though I did have many backups of my data an I still use it today it will be a sad day when the day comes that windows stops supporting it.

19. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

Windows XP is the most stable OS of all times. I tried to switch to vista but it as quite a disappointment then I crawled back to XP. It has served me well over the years and would recommend it to a friend.

20. caparica007

caparica007 Member

No surprise there, if you changed from XP to Vista of course you'd be disappointed, Vista was the worse operating system ever. Would it still recommend XP to anyone? Well, no one would accept that recommendation today. :p