Why does W8 have skype installed?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dammzyy, Apr 20, 2014.

1. dammzyy

dammzyy New Member

It took me by surprise as it is usually the first thing I go download - but when I got my new laptop it already had it on there, why is it already installed?

2. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Member

I don't know, but my sister bought a new pc, not knowing what the heck she was doing. So now she has Windows 8.1 because I downloaded the free offer for her, through her Win 8. Ok, so I work on her pc by way of a remote access program. So now I am learning more then I really wanted to for now. Other things going on, but one thing I learned was that Skype is an app. with Win 8, and 8.1. So it looks different for my sis, doesn't have the same buttons etc.

It was a huge pain, and later I did read that you can just download the Skype program even though Skype is offered as an app. From what I've seen of her Skype App. I much prefer the software, but to each his own I guess.

3. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

Microsoft own Skype and they want people to use it. If everyone who uses Windows 8 has Skype, more people will have the opportunity to use it. It's just simple business.

4. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Member

Well that makes very, good sense User, thank you. The only thing I have a problem with is that I have Skype, the program, and my sister (with her having Win 8) has the app. It has a different look, different bells and whistles. She has a problem lets' say, and I'll ask her to click on the "button" below, something like that, and she doesn't have it. For a long time I thought I was losing it, then I read and found out about Win8 app being different. I thought about removing the app, and just loading up Skype, but seemed like more of a hassle then it was worth;)

5. thebeardlesswonder

thebeardlesswonder New Member

Yup, its a Microsoft product now. It will probably be installed on all Windows computers that you will see. Someone will probably end up suing Microsoft like they did with IE years ago.

6. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Member

Well now that makes sense. Never occurred to me MS owns Skype. I still don't understand why they didn't make the app. at least have the same "navigation" buttons on the front. Unless I am doing something wrong setting my sister's Skype up, the two look different, the app., and the software. Thanks for the input, and info ALL!! Denise

7. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

You can always download the desktop version if you don't like the metro (app) style.

8. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Member

I actually tried that and can't remember what went wrong, but it was less then a smooth "setup" so then I dug deeper and found my sister's Win8 (now 8.1) had the app. So assuming it was all the same (there I go assuming again, lol) I went ahead and set her up with that. I wish I could tell you what the trouble was setting her Win8 up with the software, oh well. We aren't using it anyway, but I do hate loose ends because if we start using it, same old thing. She'll say, this or that isn't working, but I can't help her without using my Teamviewer remote. That's ok, but just be nice to have the same navigation;)

Thanks for your input;) Denise

9. thebeardlesswonder

thebeardlesswonder New Member

I actually prefer the Windows 8 app over the desktop version. With 8.1 you can now dock the Skype app on one side of the screen and utilize the desktop on the other side. You can now change the size of the docked app which help tremendously when you are trying to multitask.

10. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Member

Thank you for this t bear! I will have to see if I can show my sis how to do this. I really can't teach her all things, especially since I haven't ever personally used Win8 even. The apps I have used, or plugins/extension in Firefox are usually way handy. The Apps are generally easier, more user-friendly I imagine;) More research, and I would love to have Win 8 at least but maybe my next laptop. I heard somewhere that if your laptop is built with Win7 let's say, it isn't fully equipped (for lack of a better way of putting it) for a newer version of Windows, do you think that is true info?

Thanks for all the input everyone, Denise;) PS learning lots here:)