Windows 10, the last "version" of Windows ....

Discussion in 'Windows' started by GearZ, May 8, 2015.

1. GearZ

GearZ Member

It was revealed today that Windows 10 will be the last versioned (e.g., XP, Vista, 7, 8, etc.) of Windows. After which, it is simply Windows, and maintained via automatic updates. Details on this story can be seen here.

How do you all feel about the news? Good, bad, or indifferent? Thanks for sharing!

2. mairj23

mairj23 Member

That's interesting to hear. I've always liked Windows but it does comes with some problems at times. It seems like Microsoft and all other companies keep upgrading every year before you can get use to the new stuff.

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I feel indifferent because after using Windows since version 3, I have learned that what really matter is how good or bad the new (or last) version is.

When they announced Windows 7, I found improved features, but yet it was better to me stick to Windows XP, but when I tried Windows 8, I found this system liked as much as Windows 98SE liked me, OS that I used for nearly a whole decade after being released alternating with XP over a dual-boot setting.

Today I have no plans to update to Windows 10 and I don't care to have any update if the system serves me as is. In fact every now and then my actual system recalls me about a free upgrade to Windows 8.1, which I ignore because I have heard horror stories of people upgrading to this.

Windows 10 has to be very impressive to get me switching to it, not just eye-candy, which is what Microsoft mostly focus in every upgrade.

4. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I think the idea of them phasing it out makes sense. Probably makes branding easier among other things.

I'm just hoping they'll stop trying to force metro down our throats.

GearZ likes this.
  5. GearZ

GearZ Member

+1. What fiasco that has been for Microsoft. Here's hoping they get a clue. For that matter, I find it bizarre that a company with the massive resources of the Redmond operation managed to mess up a UI/UX so royally.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

Is there anyone here who had tried Windows 10 already? I am in search of feedback because the promised Windows 10 demo installer has not arrived yet. Our office needs the info on Windows 10 because we are trying to be in step with technology for old OS would lose support eventually.

With the present state of Microsoft, it seems to me that it is being neglected in terms of development. Maybe Bill Gates have left it completely to the CEO and other executives. If Windows 8 was a test, surely, they failed.

7. GearZ

GearZ Member

I have for testing at my day job. Overall, it is not a bad OS. It isn't a dog like Vista and the UI is actually useable. I wouldn't use it for a main PC/notebook now though as the updates they are pushing out are both massive and problematic. But in a year or so once the OS stabilizes it is a worthy option.