Windows 7 32bit On A 64bit Machine?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by danealegana, May 6, 2013.

1. danealegana

danealegana Member

I just want to ask if its ok to install Windows 7 32bit on a 64bit machine?
    Will it be fast as the 64bit of 7 installed?
    If its ok, will there be problems later that I need to be aware of?

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Yeah you can, but you won't get the benefit of having 64 bit hardware.

One of the main differences I believe is you can only use 4 GB of RAM in 32-bit. While 64-bit can access something crazy like 17.2 billion GB's of system memory. :eek:

danealegana likes this.
  3. Carlalexander

Carlalexander New Member

I believe you can but the only shortcoming would be that your 64-bit computer would "behave" as a 32-bit bit computer. You would have totally limited the capabilities of your machine :)

4. danealegana

danealegana Member

I am planning to add another 4 GB RAM from my previous 4GB to get a total of 8 GB RAM so, I think I'd get a 64 bit.

Thanks for the comment guys! Ill just have my 32 bit copy replaced by my retailer. I hope they will. If not, I'd go for my last resort :)

5. Carlalexander

Carlalexander New Member

That will definitely speed up your computer and put all that unused hardware and software to good use. Good luck :)

6. jmoore93

jmoore93 New Member

Just to reiterate what Carlaexander said, You'll be better off purchasing a 64bit version of Windows 7 over a 32bit version. Your planned hardware upgrade will only benefit you if you use the 64bit version.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of system are you using?

7. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

Yes, you should go with a 64 bit version if you are planning on having that much RAM. 32 bit systems don't even support 4GB. All they can use is something around 3GB but no more.

8. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

I think they can use around 3.5GB of RAM. With XP at least, there was a patch or workaround of some sort that allowed it to use more than 3.5GB even though it was 32bit, wasn't there?

9. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

If you have a machine that supports 64 bit then stick to it. This way you will enjoy the full benefits that come with using the 64 bit version of windows 7.

10. kai_uk

kai_uk New Member

If you are concerned about certain programs not working on a 64 bit computer then you can always install it in compatibility mode. I frequently use it to install old programs and select XP which works for almost every old'ish program. In this case you have the benefit of a faster computer which is capable of running old programs.

11. Aditya Kulkarni

Aditya Kulkarni New Member

It will just give you a comparatively low performance as you won't be utilizing the processor at its fullest.
    In both cases, you will get what you want, but the processor utilization is something that you should understand.

I will advise you to go with a 64-bit operating system as it will boost the performance.

12. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

64 Bit systems have been around for so many years now, I can't imagine there being many compatibility issues these days. There are many programs, such as Adobe Premiere, which aren't even available in 32bit format anymore, so to be future proof you are much better with going 64bit. Plus those that do offer 32bit support, will offer to install the 32 bit version in addition to the 64 bit version in case you need some backwards compatibility. I can run Photoshop in 32 bit or 64 bit on my system with no hassle at all.

13. Chris_A

Chris_A New Member

I think it is a bad idea to use 32 bit software nowadays. Nearly everything has switched over to 64 bit, starting with software, to games and even hardware. A more obvious problem with 32 bit OS` is their inability to access more then 3.5 GB of RAM, as has been said before.

14. jlynn71

jlynn71 New Member

Windows 7 64 bit installs 2 folders and runs programs in both 32 and 64 bit. If you install software that is 32 bit, it will install to the appropriate folder and run just fine. that being said, I would go for 64 bit if your ram and processor can handle it. The software always takes longer to catch up to the hardware, but they are trying, so always go forward if you can.