Windows 8.1 Free Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows' started by MyDigitalpoint, Nov 10, 2013.

1. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I'm just starting with Windows 8, but first thing I came across with after turning on the new computer with this operating system is that the upgrade to version 8.1 is available and it's free.

Coming from Microsoft, I feel like about to get into a predicament if I upgrade the OS because it's well known that Microsoft's first upgrade to a given product has often plenty of bugs.

I have seen some people complaining about having upgraded and now running with connectivity issues or any other, while some people say the upgrade was really a smooth and seamless move that ran like the breeze.

Has anyone upgraded to Windows 8.1 and would like to share what happened next?

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I was using 8.1 when it was in beta, and it was terrible.

Biggest problem was compatibility with software. I understand that yeah it is in beta, but it was so bad I had to reformat and go back to 8.0.

I would wait a few months until after release if I were you.

3. caparica007

caparica007 Member

I think that's the best advice you could get Digital, I've seen quite a few users from mu university with Windows 8.1 and they're not happy with it. i don't get this Microsoft guys, aren't they suppose to test it properly before the release??

draalin likes this.
  4. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Maybe 8.1 will be like vista all over. :X3:

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Thank you guys for your input, I will better wait until some time goes by to see if it's worth the update, but probably won't :)

6. caparica007

caparica007 Member

No problem, I'm glad to help in what I can.

@draalin, ufff I find that hard to believe, worst than Vista no way. I had a Vista leaving my desk (yes, I'm at work :p) and it's worst than an old snail, impressive!

MyDigitalpoint likes this.
  7. kai_uk

kai_uk New Member

8.1 at least returned the start menu, but it is not the classic menu we are all used to e.g. Windows 7, vista, xp. The new start button simply displays all the tiles across the screen. I would have been better if the option were made available to put it back to the original format rather than force everyone to adapt to tiles.

Also it installs Internet Explorer 11 by default which has compatibility issues with certain websites.

8. hushedscream

hushedscream New Member

Windows 8.1 RTM is much better than vanilla 8 from my experience. So many usability issues have been ironed out completely, we finally have system-wide search from the Charms and also resizable tiles. It's also faster to boot up. I have had no issues with it whatsoever.
    It doesn't make Windows 8 much better and it's by no means like a new OS- I'd say that it's more of a Service Pack- just fixing things here and there.

9. samkostka

samkostka New Member

Can any gamers here tell me if the mouse issues have been fixed? Last I heard, the response time and DPI was ruined in 8.1 due to new DPI scaling methods and power saving modes. I know Microsoft was working on a patch, did that get sent through yet, or if not, has a workaround been found?

10. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

Funny, I've always been hearing that 8.1 was supposed to correct all the problems and complaints regarding Windows 8. I'm still running on Windows 7, and I'm trying to hold out and wait until Windows 9 comes out before I upgrade.

11. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

I hope that this Windows 8.1 will have the most bugs in Windows 8 fixed. Windows 8 was meant for touch and mobile devices, but with this upgrade, things might change and make it possible for PC users also to enjoy using the operating system.

12. Thephantom638

Thephantom638 New Member

I've upgraded to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 and it runs pretty much the same, with a couple bugs in program compatibility fixed. The re-addition of the Start button, although made out to look as if it's a major change, still serves the same purpose as the blank space that leads to the start "screen" rather than a start menu.

13. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Member

I have to agree. I would be in a predicament myself. I have never had a good experience when upgrading Windows. Usually it either ruins my computer entirely or it makes it laggy and all sorts of weird. I would avoid it like the plague.

14. thebeardlesswonder

thebeardlesswonder New Member

I use it constantly and I love it. Update 1 is now available too which adds even more features. I have done upgrades and clean installs and both work great. Microsoft has actually put a lot of work into the upgrade process to make it work well.