Windows 8 vs. Vista

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bowst, May 17, 2013.

1. bowst

bowst New Member

Based on what a lot of people have been saying recently, Windows 8 is considered to be an inferior operating system to Windows 7, with a lot of people refusing to make the switch over to the newer OS. It seems like the reaction against it is much more prevalent than the typical opposition to any new system, and so I was wondering how the apparent failure of Windows 8 compares to how Windows Vista went.

The vast majority of people that I know considered Vista to be a complete failure, so my question is why? Is there a constant mistake that Microsoft is making with their operating systems that leads to reduced uptake, or is it just online media making a mountain out of a molehill?

2. kdlt

kdlt Member

Honestly? I feel like Windows 8 is a cluster of things that belong on a cellphone screen, not a computer screen. Vista and Windows 8 are similar, in my opinion, in that neither of them are particularly intuitive and they're a step down from their predecessors. It's like MS puts something out without doing a bunch of tests or something! You'd think somewhere along the line, people would have warned them that this wasn't as great as they thought? But from Vista came something far better, so hopefully 8 will lead to an awesome 9. Until then, I'm going to hold on to 7 for as long as I can.

3. MCally92

MCally92 New Member

I've worked with both Windows 8, and I've found that the problem lies with the overall aim of the OS. Windows 8 seemed to be focused on things like making it's desktop OS match it's mobile OS. For example, like kdlt stated above, Windows 8 looks like a phone menu screen, with tiles/apps/etc clustering up the start menu. People want different things from their computers than they do their mobile devices.

Compare this to Apple, which makes the function and appearance of it's mobile and desktop operating systems look very different. Using a MacBook and using an iPhone might look similar, but don't feel similar. In that vein, I think that MS has tried somewhat unsuccessfully to keep the look and feel of their devices the same, no matter the device (Xbox 360, mobile devices, operating systems).

4. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

Well, the fact that Windows 8 is newer should be more than enough. I love the affects and display in Windows 8. Also, Vista seems to be much slower than Windows 8. But Vista does beat 8 in one thing; the start menu.

5. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

No contest, I would choose Windows 8. Honestly speaking, I love the Windows 8 more than Windows 7. I don't mind the lack of the start button and I love the Metro UI more than the traditional desktop.

6. hmol222

hmol222 New Member

In terms of design I would choose Windows 8 as it is just so eye catching, I love the "tile" design or whatever they're calling it. It is so striking and the colours just stick out at you. However, that is as far as it goes for me. Vista will win in terms of suitability on a computer, it is just so straight forward and I have never actually had any problems with it in the past.

7. wowtgp

wowtgp New Member

With the recent update Microsoft has given us the start screen back, but it's useless and pain in the as* to use. As much as loathe Windows 8, if I am left with only 2 choices, I would pick Windows 8 over Windows vista any day.

8. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

You test out the preview for the update? I haven't yet.

wowtgp likes this.
  9. wowtgp

wowtgp New Member

It's not even worth bothering with. You better use some other alternative software rather than this mess. I hope they fix it up soon.

10. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

Windows 8 wins hands down. If you only had to choose between Windows Vista and Windows 8 to be installed in your PC, would you honestly choose Windows Vista? I think no person in his or her right mind would even dream of installing Vista over Windows 8. W8 may seem like a mixed bag but it's great nonetheless.

11. calebmelvern

calebmelvern New Member

Windows 8 any day! Vista was far worse compared to Windows 8. It's easily the worst OS released by Microsoft. Windows 8 is becoming better and the problem most people have with its new interface can easily be fixed with a simple search in Google.