Windows Lifecycle fact sheet

Discussion in 'Windows' started by draalin, Jul 7, 2013.

1. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Connie and caparica007 like this.
  2. ozadin

ozadin Member

That's an interesting graph, I wonder why they didn't add any older versions of Windows, like Windows 96. 2014 is soon, so XP will most likely be dying out. I'm guessing Windows 8 will come around that time after they stop supporting Windows XP and providing updates.

3. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Windows 96, you mean 95? :LOL: I don't think they dropped support for it over 10 years ago.

4. ozadin

ozadin Member

I meant the Nashville one... Just joking. I guess it's pretty old now that I even forgot about it. Was just interested to see what the numbers though. I researched a little, and it was released on August 24, 1995. The latest stable release was on November 26, 1997, so it only lasted about 2 years. The newer Windows have improved by a lot, I'm surprised.

5. rashidckk

rashidckk Member

This is pretty interesting. In future we may see 'Windows 10 is not available yet'.

6. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

Nice I love the graph it would have been nice if they could have included their older OS, but this is good enough I suppose.

7. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

On a side note, Microsoft announced earlier this year they were discontinuing Silverlight (their Flash rival product). It's only been around for about 5 years or so, yet for some reason they said they will continue to support it for like the next 8 years - which is kind of crazy.

8. caparica007

caparica007 Member

Nice info, if I was for Microsoft guys I would swap Vista for XP end of support, everyone would be better off.

Flash is unstoppable, that is probably why Microsoft discontinued it.

9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

While this life cycle fact sheet is interesting, I don't rely on Windows Support.

In fact it could be just my ill-will towards them but since Windows 98SE I feel that updates downloaded from Microsoft's official site hurt the operating system in some way, mostly by the end of the support cycle.

I came across with this fact when my OS was working fine, but in the belief to improve security by updating it, downloading installing and files from such place ruined all.

I can actually either run old operating systems without needing any update but as they came packed, or I can always find updates from unofficial sites, which I really trust them upon Microsoft.

10. caparica007

caparica007 Member

Mmm, that is interesting opinion MDP... I have always wondered why does my laptop need so many updates, what am I installing on my computer?... I'll put it to the test next year when the support for XP ends. ;)

11. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

Looks like Vista only has three years left to live (yes!)
    I've seen some large businesses switch over to Windows 7 in the past year or two, and I don't think that's a very smart move at all. They should have just went with something like Windows 8 + StartIsBack. I'm sure when we're in the year 2020 with Windows 10 and computers that work through our brains or whatever, large business will still be using Windows 7, or, you know, XP...

12. hollysheats

hollysheats New Member