Xubuntu

Discussion in 'Ubuntu' started by calebmelvern, Oct 9, 2013.

1. calebmelvern

calebmelvern New Member

Just installed Xubuntu 13.04 on my system and I love it! I've been a long-time Windows user and I'm going to give Linux a serious try. I installed Mint KDE but I didn't like it very much so I replaced it with Xubuntu. Originally, I was supposed to download Mint Xfce but decided to give other distros a try. I've read that Xubuntu is really great, and it isn't much different from Mint Xfce.

Are there other Xubuntu users here?

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Heard about Xubuntu before but I've never tried it. Is it just a light weight version of Ubuntu?

3. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I never heard of Xubuntu so I googled it looks like a cool OS I might installed it on my laptop and give it a try sounds like you really enjoy it.

4. calebmelvern

calebmelvern New Member

It is the xfce version of Ubuntu. It's a great alternative if you don't like Unity and/or if your system doesn't have the specs to run more resource-hungry DEs such as KDE. I'm really loving it so far. I also tried Mint Xfce a couple of days ago but I still prefer Xubuntu, though I must say that they aren't much different from one another.

5. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

I was an Xubuntu user for quite a while before I got bored of it. I wanted something a bit more flashy so I went with Unity. I still like it though, Xubuntu is one of my favourite flavours of Ubuntu. It's lightweight which is good for older computers, and if you put in a bit of work, it looks very nice. In my opinion it makes an extremely good replacement for XP, which just reached EOL a week or so ago.