Asterisk Add-Ons

Discussion in 'Asterisk' started by MyDigitalpoint, Oct 18, 2013.

1. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Hey guys and gals!

I just got Asterisk, but now I'm wondering if it's worth getting some add-ons available for this software.

I found several of them and would like to know if any of you have tried any of these:

• G.729 Codec - Reduces the network bandwidth used by each VoIP call, without sacrificing call quality.
    • Fax for Asterisk - Fax For Asterisk is a commercial add-on module that lets Asterisk and Switchvox systems send, receive and relay fax documents.
    • Digium Phone Module for Asterisk - The DPMA is a binary Asterisk module that provides a secure communications channel between Digium phones and Asterisk.
    • Cepstral Text-to-Speech - Add high quality text-to-speech to your Asterisk system with Cepstral's Allison voice.
    • High Performance Echo Cancellation - Echo Cancellation (HPEC) module can help eliminate the most common types of echo heard on PSTN connections.
    If so, what are your thoughts about them?

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Is this a self install Asterisk on computer you have console access to? Or is this hosted/maintained by someone else?

As for the addons, I haven't used any of the ones you have mentioned.

But the Cepstral Text-to-Speech sounds kinda cool if its easy to create nice voice menu's. I was just using a free website and downloading their wav files after creating them lol.

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

It's a self-installed software onto a computer that I used to run a voicemail system from SuperVoice (http://www.supervoice.com) but that thought to substitute more conveniently for Asterisk.

One problem I have always have is recording the voice menus because of the many noises around this place. I would need a professional recording studio to sound professional, or certainly Cepstral Text-to Speech would be another good option.

Downloading wav files sounds also like a great idea, however if you need specific recordings might be hard to find the wav already made, hehehe