For those interested in Vo-IP Systems.

Discussion in 'Asterisk' started by draalin, May 6, 2013.

1. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I don't know if anyone saw this on the front page but I wrote up 3 guides regarding setting up an Asterisk PBX in Ubuntu.

Anyone can install this software as it is free, and the basic guide can be completed and setup at home for free as well which I think is pretty cool. As for the advanced it requires a domain name and a Vo-IP registrar, both be bought for under $10.

2. danealegana

danealegana Member

I know nothing about this but I am interested.

I have magicjack installed on my other PC, so basically installing this is like having your own magicjack right?
    If so, do I need to subscribe to any providers so I can make calls or can I make calls instantly for free after installation?

3. draalin

I have never used MagicJack but it seems like it is suppose connect to their servers once you set it up?

With Asterisk you are running it essentially as a calling center to host calls.

You only need a provider if you want to use it with a regular telephone number. If you don't care about having a phone number through the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) you can just make calls locally/over the internet to anyone who can connect to your Asterisk box via IP.

Example:

1. Locally = Place Call -> Asterisk (Routes Call) -> To Friend
    2. Globally = Place Call -> Asterisk (Routes Call) -> Provider (Routes through PSTN) -> To Friend

It is pretty cool, in School we used it for only local use. I decided to take it a step further as Vo-IP has always been an interest to me.

danealegana likes this.
  4. danealegana

danealegana Member

MagicJack is a dongle connected to your PC and an extra phone to make calls. It initiates installation of the software once you plug it to your PC. Yes, it definitely connects to their servers so you can make a call to another MagicJack user or any regular telephone number in the US and Canada. Basically, I use MagicJack to contact clients and for them to contact me.

So, with Asterisk I need to have PSTN to make calls to a regular phone number. Now that clears everything.
    Thank you very much Draalin. I'll update once I have set it up if its ok because I am planning it to be a replacement for my MagicJack.

5. draalin

Asterisk is pretty nice, being able to setup your own IVR menu with custom extensions/voice mail. It kind of gives it a professional feel. Plus you only have to edit the sip.conf, extensions.conf and voicemail.conf files followed by reloading the application and you are done unless you want some custom sound files!

danealegana likes this.
  6. danealegana

danealegana Member

I already set it up by I need some good providers I think. Or maybe Ill try it out with my MagicJacks sip just to test it out. I am still studying it anyways how it goes and everything especially the terms which is really alien to me! :)

Btw, if I got a sip I have to input it on sip.conf right? Just to be sure.

7. draalin

I use https://www.voip.ms/ as my provider and they seem fine. I have never had a dropped call with them.

As for the sip, they'll give you a few lines of code that you'll have update your sip.conf with. The above tutorials cover the setup for voip.ms's service.

danealegana likes this.
  8. danealegana

danealegana Member

Right now, I still havent tested it well because I can not find my MagicJacks sip. I am still searching for anything particular how to get their sip. If I cant find it, I'd definitely subscribed to voip.ms. I already checked them, they have pretty cool low rates.

9. draalin

Hmm, I went to their site and I didn't see anything about sip configuration.

danealegana likes this.
  10. danealegana

danealegana Member

You are right magicjack do not provide to their customers their sip configurations so I searched for more info but instead I found some steps from different sites on how to get their sip config. Ill try it later, I hoped to not compromised anything here and I already have gone so far! :)

11. danealegana

danealegana Member

Update:
    I have used Ekiga and it works perfectly.
    Only one problem, the softphone of MagicJack doesnt work but Ekiga's softphone does.

I am still looking for other fixes because I just cant ditch MagicJack right now since I am still subscribed to it and I want to use it on my Ubuntu rather than on my Windows machine.

12. draalin

Ah, how does MagicJack work for subscriptions. Do you have a certain amount of minutes? Or it just a monthly fee?

13. danealegana

danealegana Member

I have subscribed for a year worth $29.95. Its not international though, you can only call US and Canadian numbers.

If you are from the US or Canada they offer a 30 day trial. If not, then try to install their free app for Android and iOS, its free for life. I dont know why they offer it free for handhelds, its just so unfair. After my subscription, I wont continue anymore.

14. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

Nice tutorials Boss! I'm implementing an Asterisk at work. So far I got it working with an Avaya system and we can place calls between Asterisk and Avaya. I read a lot of tutorials all over the web to accomplish this.

Asterisk is very very nice and it looks like there's no limit on what you can do with it. Right now I'm learning everything I can because I think this can lead to some good business oportunities for me.