Resetting your iPhone 6 Pus to factory settings is one of the sure-fire ways of fixing issues and glitches that you may have picked up. It’s also a great way to remove your data from the device in case you plan on selling it or giving it to another family member. Below is a step-by-step guide on how to factory reset your iPhone 6 Plus.
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Go to the General section.
3. Scroll down and choose Reset.
4. Here you will see several reset options. For this tutorial, select option two:
- Reset All Settings – use this option if you want to factory reset your iPhone 6 Plus without losing your personal data like photos, music, text messages, etc. The Reset All Settings option is best suited for situations where your iPhone behaves oddly and yet you cannot determine the cause.
- Erase All Content and Settings – with this option you can wipe all settings and personal data from the iPhone 6 Plus. The Erase All Content and Settings option is mostly used when you want to sell your device, give it to another family member or just have a fresh start.
- Reset Network Settings – use this option if you want to reset your wireless settings and preferences. This is a recommended option to try if your iPhone has trouble connecting to a Wi-Fi hotspot or the Bluetooth is acting up.
- Reset Keyboard Dictionary – with this option you can reset the keyboard dictionary, deleting all custom words in the process. The option is mostly used when an incorrect word is saved in the dictionary as a correct one.
- Reset Home Screen Layout – this option will reset your home screen layout back to the default one – useful if a toddler has been playing with your iPhone all day or if you can’t find an app you’ve installed.
- Reset Location and Privacy – this option will reset your location and privacy settings. Use it if you want to secure your phone by restricting your apps’ access to your information such as location, contacts, photos, etc.
5. If chose to Erase All Content and Settings and you have a passcode, you would need to enter it. You would also need to enter your Apple ID password in case you have Find My iPhone active. After entering those, you will be asked one more time to confirm that you want to factory reset your iPhone 6 Plus.
6. The phone will restart and you’ll be greeted by the iOS setup process. At this point you have successfully reset your iPhone’s settings and erased all data.
What if I’m jailbroken?
If you have jailbroken your device, you must not follow this guide. If you factory reset your jailbroken iPhone 6 Plus, it will be stuck in a boot loop at Step 6. The only fix would be to restore from iTunes by going into DFU mode.
If you need to wipe your jailbroken device, we recommend that you perform a restore in iTunes and set your phone as new.