First of all a hotspot is a feature which allows you to share a wireless connection to other devices. In this case you are probably trying to share your iPhone 6’s data plan with a laptop or another device. Regardless as to why you want to set it up it’s great to be able to have internet access anywhere with something other than your phone.
To explain how it works in a few words you could say a hotspot allows your iPhone 6 to act as router, much like yours would at home. Essentially it’s a bridge which lets you connect to the internet. Anyways that’s enough talk, lets get started shall we?
iPhone 6 Hotspot Requirements
Below are the requirements for setting up and using the hotspot functionality on your iPhone 6.
- You need to make sure you have an active data plan registered with your iPhone 6.
- You also need to check if your provider has enabled the hotspot functionality, as sometimes they have been known to disable it by default.
- You also need to make sure you have a device capable of connecting to your iPhone 6’s hotspot.
- This could be anything which Wi-Fi capability or a USB connection.
Setting up your iPhone 6 Hotspot
Alright, now we can setup the hotspot itself! When you are ready you begin read on below.
- First browse and open your Settings application.
- Now open up the Cellular option.
- Followed by opening up the Cellular Data Network option.
- Next copy everything under Cellular Data which includes:
- Copy that information and scroll down under you see Personal Hotspot, now paste that information in the appropriate headings.
- Now go back to the Cellular option.
- Then back to Settings.
- Within a minute or so you’ll notice that you have a new option directly under Cellular named Personal Hotspot, open that up.
- Now enter in a Wi-Fi password of your choice. Though remember this is what you and others will use to connect to the hotspot.
- After that swipe the Personal Hotspot button at the top to turn it on.
- You will be now prompted with two different options:
- Turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- USB Only
- Select the option you want to enable.
- That’s it, you’ve now got a working hotspot!
Problems setting up your Hotspot?
If you are having trouble setting up your iPhone 6’s hotspot check out some of the most common problems below.
- Don’t see the option anywhere to enable a hotspot? You should probably check to see if your carrier has enabled the option for your phone as some have it disabled by default.
- Can’t connect to the hotspot’s Wi-Fi? Double check the password on the connecting device and ensure you are typing in the correct one!
- Connected but still can’t use your iPhone 6’s hotspot connection? Ensure the device you are connecting with is not using another method of communication i.e. an Ethernet connection.
There are many other reasons as to why your hotspot might not be working. If you are having trouble please leave a comment below and we’ll do our best to get back to you with a solution.